• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dome light, door ajar switch?

teeman914

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Absolutely Freaking Amazing!

I just purchased my first Ranger. Great truck!

Just a few small issues. Check Engine light indicated bad O2 sensor. Replaced them. Done. Rear bumper had the only rust issue. Rusted through in one of the corners. Found a nice one off of a '03 on Craigslist. Replaced it. Done.

But the one I thought I would have a lost weekend on was the dome light issue. It stayed on. I was thinking timer, door switch, short in the wiring. Then I thought about this great resource - The Ranger Station.

Soak the door latch in WD-40. I thought it can't be that simple. Golly - it was :yahoo:.

The dome light works perfectly now. Thanks guys. Hopefully I can contribute back to this forum a fraction of what I have learned.

Thanks,
Tom Koenig
Riverside, IL
1996 XLT stepside
2.3L 2wd automatic
Cool "no window" Century cap
All in Henry Ford's favorite color - black

Toofarnorth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys. I had a similar problem but same fix. When I opened the drivers door the interior light would not go on, but when I open the passenger door the light would never go off. The only way I could get it to go out was to start the truck back up and roll it a little ways until the speed sensor would turn it back off. Which brings me to this question. Is the light supposed to turn off when backing up also. Mine only shuts off when rolling forward. At least it was that way until I sprayed the WD40 into the latch. I haven't driven it since remedying the latch problem.

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys. I had a similar problem but same fix. When I opened the drivers door the interior light would not go on, but when I open the passenger door the light would never go off. The only way I could get it to go out was to start the truck back up and roll it a little ways until the speed sensor would turn it back off. Which brings me to this question. Is the light supposed to turn off when backing up also. Mine only shuts off when rolling forward. At least it was that way until I sprayed the WD40 into the latch. I haven't driven it since remedying the latch problem.
I've never tried it when backing up, but it's designed to turn itself off when you reach a certain speed (around 15 mph if I remember correctly). It makes sense that it would work in reverse as long as you hit the right speed.

Edit. Just looked it up and it's actually only 5mph to turn the light off.

Last edited:

Jeffksf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry to bring up and old thread, but better then starting a new one. Anyways does the latch switch effect the "lights on" chim? My dome light has been acting up and I sprayed the latch once already and didn't fix it, maybe I need to spray it again.

EastBay2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Wealth of Knowledge.

Thanks TRS.com for answering my question before I even asked. I was having this same problem, over the last couple days with my '03 B2300. I was thinking it was some sort of electrical problem, but thanks to this forum and the wealth of knowledge here, ended up being a 10 second fix.

Thanks.

MyFirstRanger

Canada Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
My light goes off if I slam the Drive's door, I think it's the suicide door (rear door) but I don't know if there is a switch in it too... Checked on the forms and did the WD40 many times and did lithium spray grease too, still coming on when going over some bumps... Time to change the switches, can't think of any other thing to do...

Last edited:

Stratos

Reaction score
Thank you for this advice made me a TRS fan!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals