• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My BroncoII died

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
:bawling: I went over to my mother house to run a few errands for her, when I came out to come home my BII wouldn't start, and the fuel pump wasn't making the buzzing noise, I grabbed my Haynes manual, found that it’s the pink/black wire that goes to the pump, and then tried to jump it off the battery, still no noise and no pressure, bummer.

O’Reilly’s wants 138.99 for one, and so does all the others, but I found this one on E-bay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/255LPH-FUEL-PUMP-89-90-Ford-Bronco-II_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem414d851cceQQitemZ280473443534QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Will this one work?? Anyone have any experience on these types, or should I just save up to get the O’Reilly’s one???:annoyed:

I guess I'll be finding out how hard it is to drop the tank still half full, or maybe I'll take a cut off wheel with me and cut the floor board up and do it that way.

Robert

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
i would go with the ebay one. it is quite less. but quality may be lacking.

countryboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have bought fuel pumps from ebay b4 and haven't had a bit of trouble from them. the seller seems to have a good rating

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
I was just wondering if that one would work, because it doesnt look like what the autoparts stores have pictured, there are some on e-bay that look like the autoparts one's but they are just as high.

Robert

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I dunno. There is probably some minuscule technical detail that will keep it from working that only AllanD knows off the top of his head.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
well, I think this is the pump that goes in the white case that is in the tank, I think, that means I would have to take the white "module" out and take it apart and put the pump in it then reinstall the pump.

I guess this would also explane the stumbling I had when I tryed to speed up, or when accelerating from a dead stop, also the hard to start problem.

oh well

Robert

foss40z

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Liter
Transmission
Automatic
What year is your Bronco 2??

The Bronco 2 has 2 fuel pumps.. 1 in the tank and other on the rail right under the driver seat outside the truck.. The one on the rail is a high pressure fuel pump and that is the 1 that normally goes out. Even if the 1 in the tank went out, the high pressure pump sould still have enough power to suck the gas from tank.. I learned my lesson when i was 50 miles outside of Tucson AZ heading back home and my pump went out, and was stuck in the middle of the desert for 6 hours LOL..

Turn the key, and listen for the click in the tank, Also listen for the buzz sound from the rail. As you said you hooked up a battery to the high pressure pump on the rail and it did nothing? well there you go.. High pressure pump went south..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-FUEL-PUMP-1986-1989-FORD-BRONCO-II-EP286-E2000_W0QQitemZ170428206698QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item27ae500e6a

This is what you want..

Also NEVER Buy from China LOL...

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Did you check both pumps out first are you getting power to both make sure what the problem is check for power to both pumps first you have a relay a fusible link the inertia switch then the two pumps if you change the high pressure pump and the one in the tank is bad you will burn the new one out under the drivers side rail. if yuou have power then assure your grounds are good also. start with the cheapest first

foss40z

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Liter
Transmission
Automatic
Inertia switch is on the passenger side behind the carpet on right side. Fuseable link is right next to the air filter. ..

If you hear clicking from back of truck then the in tank pump is fine, if you do not then something to think about with dropping of tank..

If you heard a buzzing for 2-3 seconds from the rail on drivers side, then its most liekly ok, if not. its gone south..

I took my high pressure pump out and hooked it straight to a battery and didnt work, so i tapped it on the ground then it worked for a few seconds then stopped again.. Knew i needed a new pump..

Kim is right, if you dont hear a click or buzz from either pump, check inertia switch and fuseable link..

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
My 89 BroncoII only has one, pump, I traced the fuel lines from the tank to the rail, under my seat is where the fuel filter sits, and I did check the fuse, the Inertia switch, and the relay, then I just went to the source and tryed jumping the fuel pump close to the tank,, it's sleeping with fish's, it's taking a dirt nap, it's pushing up the grass from below, it just flat out dead.

Robert

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Yea according to my chilton the 88 has two pumps and the 89 has one it is good to check everything twice for the cost of parts let us know how it works out cheers.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
always good to check things out, I have a chiltons and a haynes, and I perfer the haynes, it's easyer to read.

my 88 ranger supercab has the two fuel pumps,and the fuel accumalator (sp).

Robert

by the way, I have mention just how much I love this website...

WTF

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'06
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Life is too short for cheap beer.
Rockauto.com is listing a "kit" for 41.79. It looks like you'd have to crack open the fuel pump module and replace it that way instead of the entire assembly. It ain't too bad to do; I did this on one of my Iraq junkyard trucks to keep myself from walking everywhere.:icon_cheers:

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I cut mine to get to the pump and thats how I would do it again hands down.A little trick I used is I took the tin I was going to cover the hole with and hammered it to conform the to the corrugation before I cut the hole.

I would buy one of the cheaper pumps if it was me.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
I ordered a "kit", but not the one from Rockauto.com, I forgot all about them, I'm getting one off of e-bay for 79.99 free shipping.

I'm going to cut the floor, and go to Pull-a-Part and cut a bigger piece from a wreck to make the hatch.

Robert

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals