• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No communication with OBD 2 plug

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Hi everyone I’ve recently swapped a 96 4.0 engine/ecu/wiring into the 86 B2. Motor runs so i decided to get the obd 2 plug wired in. I’ve got the correct wires plugged into the ecu harness (purple, pink/blue, tan/orange) and I have 12v supplied to the orange wire, and the black, and black/white wires are grounded to the chassis. My obd2 scanner powers up but cannot connect. It says interface connected, attempts numerous protocols, and then gives up after it can’t find any that work.

There is 1 wire a light blue/white that I could not find where to hook up, but from what I’ve read it is for auxiliary items (abs, etc) so I don’t see it as a concern. But then again I’ve read it’s the J1850 bus+ wire which I see my scanner attempt to connect to that protocol. Wondering if that might be my issue. Another thing According to the diagram I found, the black/white wire should be signal ground and the black should be chassis ground. I cannot find anywhere in my engine control diagram where the black/white wire would go, only the pk/blu, ppl, and tan/org.

Any ideas? My scanner works fine in everything else I’ve used it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Assume the narrow side of the plug is the "bottom".

What is the resistance between the 3rd pins from the left, top and bottom.

What is the resistance between the 3rd pins from the right, top and bottom.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Found a 1996 OBD port wiring diagram

Pins are
((1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8))
(9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16)

1-8 being the wider part of connector

Attachments

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Assume the narrow side of the plug is the "bottom".

What is the resistance between the 3rd pins from the left, top and bottom.

What is the resistance between the 3rd pins from the right, top and bottom.

There aren’t any pins in those slots. Only pins 2, 4, 5, 7, 10, 13 and 16 have pins.

I double checked continuity from the obd plug to the ecu terminals and they all check out good. Maybe I should grab the snap on scanner from work and see if it connects

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Found a 1996 OBD port wiring diagram

Pins are
((1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8))
(9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16)

1-8 being the wider part of connector

Great diagram, I searched for about 45 minutes yesterday for something like this and couldn’t find nothing appreciate it!

Looks like that light blu/white wire goes to the GEM I wonder if I need a GEM for the obd plug to work...?

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Yeah definitely starting to think that I need a GEM. Pulled one of the fuses for it on my 99 ranger that has the same pinout on the DLC and my scanner would not connect. Plugged the fuse back in and it connected no problem.

I should be able to get away with powering the GEM up (and grounding it) and then just connect that lt blu/white wire from it to the DLC plug, right?

Found a great diagram for the GEM on this link http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170941 from you RonD.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
What is the resistance from your one network line to the other one at the DLC. If it is not 60 ohms, give or take a few, your communications network won't work.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
What is the resistance from your one network line to the other one at the DLC. If it is not 60 ohms, give or take a few, your communications network won't work.

No continuity between data + and data - wires. There is continuity between a few other wires however nothing reading 60 ohms. The two pairs of pins that have continuity read 120, and 20 ohms.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 120 ohm pair, there is your terminating resistor for the networked module. There are supposed to at least two modules on the network, which means two of those resistors, which is 60 ohms, rather than 120.

The network signal isn't super strong, it can get through 60 ohms of resistance, but not 120.

Also, double check that the two wires with 120 ohms resistance do run to the computer.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Hey sorry for not replying been real busy lately. Anyways I went ahead and got a GEM from the junkyard and gave it power and ground and connected the light blue/white wire from it to the DLC plug for the hell of it. And of course it didn’t work, not sure if I got it all powered right or what voltage that light blue and white wire should have.

I tried a different (known good) PCM and i still cannot connect to the obd 2 plug.. are the resistors for the dlc in the PCM or along the wiring harness? at a loss here, real unfortunate too cuz the motor runs pretty bad and I can’t read engine data. And I would like to seat the rings before running it in the garage for too long!

On the bright side there are no leaks, I’ve got good oil pressure, and it doesn’t overheat!

Anyways anymore ideas are greatly appreciated.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I can't see why you would need GEM or any other module connected to get PCM data
OBD2 readers are "universal" not all vehicles have GEM or other Body computers

Just the 3 wires from PCM, and 12v and Ground to power reader, reader does power up right?

PCM would also need power, does CEL come on with the key?

Last edited:

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I have not wired the CEL into the truck yet. However the truck does run (it’s an 86 b2 with a 96 ecu/wiring/motor). The pcm controls my fuel pump and all engine controls so I have to believe it’s working well enough to communicate a signal to a code reader.

I have a WiFi OBD 2 adapter that hooks to your phone, works flawlessly on anything else I hook it to. It gets powered up and sends a signal to my phone but once I try connecting it goes through a bunch of protocols and then fails to connect.

On another note I got the truck running great, found the coil pack was not grounded well, and I threw another spare coil pack I had laying around on there and it runs great now, so I’m stoked on that!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If reader works on other vehicles then it is "universal", and it is powering up, the wireless adapter, then, in my opinion, its down to the connector, and the 3 wires between OBD connector and PCM

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If reader works on other vehicles then it is "universal", and it is powering up, the wireless adapter, then, in my opinion, its down to the connector, and the 3 wires between OBD connector and PCM

Gotta blame the connector then I guess. I got great continuity between the pcm and those 3 wires. Good grounds and good power to the plug. My only concern with the grounds is the “sensor” ground, which from what I’ve read shouldn’t be a problem that I have it grounded to the chassis, but you never know.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Anybody know what the voltages at each pin should be with the key on? (Beside pin 16)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals