• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel line question???

BIIHawg

December OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am in the process of doing a 4.0L swap into my BII. I was just curious as to how people have connected the BII lines to the Explorer stainless steel lines. It has me stumped.

Thanks.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Maybe I missed something, but I thought the fuel line connections behind the power steering pump were identical full-size springlock connectors, on both 2.9Ls and 4.0Ls. The various connectors on the frame and tank are quite different, but I'd just leave those all original.

silveranger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Maybe I missed something, but I thought the fuel line connections behind the power steering pump were identical full-size springlock connectors, on both 2.9Ls and 4.0Ls. The various connectors on the frame and tank are quite different, but I'd just leave those all original.
You are right. Except that Ford switched which side each fitting was on. One has the female fitting on the engine side and the other has it on the frame side. So, you'll end up with two female or two male connectors (I can't remember which).

I just cut the plastic inner liner and pushed it over the barb on the right fitting and hose clamped it. It works fine, but I just really don't like it. There has to be a better way, but I couldn't think one at the time I swapped it.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If that's true, can't you go to the fuel reservoir and switch the lines? It's been a while since I've seen one of those, but I thought they were the same. This would turn the pressure line into the return line and vice-versa.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
On an '89 2.9 Vs a 4.0 if you disconnect the fuel lines next to the power steering box
(and you have the upper flexible lines from the 4.0) then everything connects right up.

Atleast that's the way I remember it.

On my '87 Ranger for the 4.0 swap I replaced essentially the entire fuel system
even though I had previously converted to the '89-up setup using only "in tank" type pumps (eliminating the reservoir and the frame mounted pump)

AD

silveranger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hmm... I had a 4.0 from a '94 Explorer in my '88 Ranger. I know it wasn't a straight bolt in connection, but I never thought of what you said AllanD. I don't remember there being a connection by the steering gear. Although I never really looked for it, so I may have just missed it. But now that engine is going in my '87 and I have the same quandry. I'll have to check to see if there is a connection by the steering gear. If not, I'll go with my old solution till I can find something a little less 'rigged' shall we say.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Hmm... I had a 4.0 from a '94 Explorer in my '88 Ranger. I know it wasn't a straight bolt in connection, but I never thought of what you said AllanD. I don't remember there being a connection by the steering gear. Although I never really looked for it, so I may have just missed it. But now that engine is going in my '87 and I have the same quandry. I'll have to check to see if there is a connection by the steering gear. If not, I'll go with my old solution till I can find something a little less 'rigged' shall we say.
On an '88 there is no connection there.
On most '89s there is.

The change in fuel line layout was done along with the switch from dual fuel pumps (LP tank pump and inline HP pumps) to a single pump mounted in the tank and relocation of the fuel filter from right up against the engine crossmember to above the radius arm bracket (to where the HP pump
was on the '86-88's)

I had "fun" doing my conversiuon to the 4.0 because I insisted on using the stainless steel lines from the fuel filter up to that double connection by the steering box.

Why? Because I was doing my 4.0 installation with Borla headers
and I thought it'd be easier to use stainless steel rigid fuel lines
than to protect the earlier style plastic lines from the heat of the
hot exhaust headers.

AD

silveranger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, I mis-read '89 for '88. I'm curious as to how you adapted hard stainless lines to the stock Ford lines. I'd much rather have that than the hoseclamped, rigged setup I have now. It hasn't ever leaked, but I'm still afraid of a slight leak leading to a fire. It's not 'right' and that bugs the crap out of me.

abrush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
On my swap I connected the fuel lines with hoses and clamps and haven't had a leak so far. One thing I made sure to do was pull the hose connected fuel line section away from the motor so if it ever did decide to leak the fuel wouldn't drip on to the hot motor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals