• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

small metallic driveline clunk

jeffw920

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I know the infamous driveline clunk has been talked about quite a bit, but i've done a lot of searching and can't seem to find anything that sounds exactly like my situation.

Under light to moderate acceleration if you let off the throttle right before the auto tranny upshifts, after the tranny completes the upshift sometimes i hear one fairly loud metallic clunk. Cant feel it, just hear it.

Under the truck the U-joints feel solid no play, although i don't know much about U-joints. The slip yoke seems to have some axial play in it. also if you grip the DS on each side of the slip yoke and twist in opposite directions you can hear a slight clunk which i imagine is much louder under the load of a motor compared to my hands.

final point-When under the truck if you tap the shaft with with something metal it pretty much sounds like what i am experiencing.

any ideas?
I plan on lubing the slip yoke

thanks

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Sounds like you are already on the right track to me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals