• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sleeping but not necessarily camping in a truck.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I realize most of you guys make camping setups to, well... camp. What I do isn't really camping. I do tons of fishing trips were I basically just get a few hours of sleep while hopping along the shore fishing through the night into the next morning. As I'm getting older sleeping crouched up in my front seat is starting to take it's toll so I wanna come up with a more comfortable solution. I only have a regular cab truck so obviously this means my bed is my only option. At first I thought obviously just get a cap, but after looking at prices for new ones I quickly shut that idea down! So I'm trying to see if anyone has any cheaper solutions. I found a company that makes a soft top cap that's around 700... still a bit much just to get a few zzzzz's but it's a thought. Also considered just a roll up tonneau cover thinking maybe I could just leave the tailgate down and crawl under that. Or make something DIY style like a quick pop up shelter. I have a bed tent but you can't drive with it attached, takes way to long to setup, and is waaaaay to conspicuous when your sleeping on some sandy road where traffic may drive by.

Any clever ideas guys and gals? Any traveling hobos got some tips? Lol

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Indeed a camper shell seems like the obvious answer here.

Have you checked Craigslist or similar? I see used shells pop up pretty often, though there is a possibility you won't get the exact color you want (not right away anyway).

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
PCV pipe and a tarp, you only need one end or side of the bed raised up a bit

You can also get, or make, a sleeping bag head cover, like a mini tent just for upper body area

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Dirtman... I'm gonna guess that you travel up and down the shores of Lake Michigan in search cold water species. My guess is based on my own travels and sleeping in your described manner in search of the same. I had upgraded to a 7 foot skamper. Nothing like making a pot of coffee and a sausage and egg muffin before or after some rod bending action. My future plan is to sleep in the back of the truck under a cap. I think its the best choice for what you want to do. They can be found cheap on the net. Hell keep your eyes open and sometimes they are found out by the road with a "FREE" sign on it.

Mariam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Wolkswagen
Transmission
Manual
I realize most of you guys make camping setups to, well... camp. What I do isn't really camping. I do tons of fishing trips were I basically just get a few hours of sleep while hopping along the shore fishing through the night into the next morning. As I'm getting older sleeping crouched up in my front seat is starting to take it's toll so I wanna come up with a more comfortable solution. I only have a regular cab truck so obviously this means my bed is my only option. At first I thought obviously just get a cap, but after looking at prices for new ones I quickly shut that idea down! So I'm trying to see if anyone has any cheaper solutions. I found a company that makes a soft top cap that's around 700... still a bit much just to get a few zzzzz's but it's a thought. Also considered just a roll up tonneau cover thinking maybe I could just leave the tailgate down and crawl under that. Or make something DIY style like a quick pop up shelter. I have a bed tent but you can't drive with it attached, takes way to long to setup, and is waaaaay to conspicuous when your sleeping on some sandy road where traffic may drive by.

Any clever ideas guys and gals? Any traveling hobos got some tips? Lol
I would advise you on a camper shell for sure as long as I have been in a situation like yours. This will be ideal for camping sites. By the way, this reminded me of the case when I had a sleeping bag and a snake climbed in while I was sleeping lol. So yes, a camper shell, dude! I do not think that you will want to think every time whether there is a snake there or not. Or any other creature. I was so shocked that I started having nightmares. It's fun to recall it but all applications with dream books were downloaded. What really helped me was communication with a professional in her field, Amanda. I read her interpretation here https://dreams-meaning.com/blog/snakes-in-dreams . Thanks to her, I figured out this problem and not only this one.

Last edited:

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Dirtman, I'd go with aq shell/topper/cap...whatever yoou want to call them.
Check facebook market place...I found these 2 just now, locally
Red one is $140, and the other, green, for a long bed is only $50 bucks. White one is $80 bucks.

Just check your local area facebook marketplace and punch in Ford Ranger Toppers.

Attachments

Last edited:

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Get the Magellan "Journey" 2 Person tent. It pops right up, fits perf in a ranger bed, and about $40 bucks.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Keep an eye out on craigslist.....i see fiberglass toppers going from free-150 bucks.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Do you have a 7 ft bed?

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Agree on checking out classified sites, my aluminum cap was found on craigslist for free, was a 60 mile round trip to get it and it didnt come with clamps, get a set of 3” clamps now to carry around.
My fiberglass cap was free too, was on the way to a junkyard and there it was in a yard with a “free” sign next to it. I turned around and got the tape out, sure enough it was a longbed cap. You’ll want a sheet of plywood in the back so youre not sleeping on those bed ribs, maybe a rubber mat on top of that. New cap prices are outrageous, I bought 1 new one, in ‘91 for my ‘88. It was a shortbed cap and $600. I guess 1,000 or more is normal for new ones now. If its going off & on alot aluminum is the way to go. Sure ‘glass looks better but its very heavy, does help in winter though.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Enclosed trailer and modify it into a camper

Biggfoot44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
Within your parameters , two options :

Craigslist/ yard sale shell

Convince yourself that the sore back and crick in your neck aren't really that bad after all .

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
What about a cot tent? Those are fairly small, up off the ground, enclosed, quick setup.

I don't like toppers, I've had a few and always end up getting rid of it. They reduce visibility a lot.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.

Magellan Journey tent

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Softtoppers are nice. I have one for my F150. They are pretty pricey though. Even more so for rangers.

You have leave it up all the time, but it goes up and down with one person in like five minutes.

Edit; I just checked their website, and they are having a clearance sale on toppers that should fit.

$500 that $250 off brand new

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals