• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dome lights not working after sitting awhile

98mazdaman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dome lights don't work after truck has been turned off

Hello everyone,

I am having a confusing problem that I cannot solve. My dome lights will not work when I open the doors after my truck has been sitting without running for about an hour.

To go into some more detail, the dome lights work just fine when the engine is running and up to about an hour after that. They come on and off just fine when I open and close the door. However, after an hour has passed since the engine has been turned off, the dome lights will not work at all when I open the doors. They won't even work if I use the little dimming switch located next to the headlight switch. However, the battery is not dead because I can turn the headlights on. The dome lights will turn on at the very instant when the engine is running under its own power.

I have replaced the battery saver relay. The interior light relay has not been replaced but it seems to be working correctly because it opens and closes as it is removed and the dome light goes on and off while this is happening. These tests have been conducted with the engine running and the doors open. Every fuse in the truck has been checked and none were blown.

To sum things up, everything works fine until the truck sits an hour without running, and then the dome lights will not come on until the truck is started again. I would really appreciate some help on this issue.

Thanks for all of your help!

Last edited:

98mazdaman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Update:

I checked the voltage in the dome light with the truck running, doors open, and dome lights working. I measured around 14 volts. I then kept the doors open, turned off the engine, and waited for the lights to go out like they have been doing. I then connected the ground bolt/screw from the dome light and connected it to the battery ground terminal to be sure the dome light is getting a good ground. The lights still did not work. So, I am still having a problem with my dome lights not working after about an hour since the truck has been running when I open my doors. I hope this is not a GEM issue. :sad:

Flat Toy

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/2.5
Transmission
Automatic
My 98 Ranger has ben doing that for for about ten years. I bet if you check you will find the wipers do not work also. Everywhere I checked I have been told the GEM (Generic Electronics Module) is bad. Located behind the radio on the Ranger. I have a new one but have been to lazy to put it in.

98mazdaman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's interesting that your wipers don't work. Mine are currently working. It's been raining here quite a bit lately. The GEM has crossed my mind a few times, I don't really want to replace mine either. I think I can put up with this annoying problem for awhile before replacing mine.

Flat Toy

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/2.5
Transmission
Automatic
The wipers work fine on mine till the dome light stops working then they stop at the same time.

98mazdaman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh I think I see what you are saying. I will see what my wipers do tomorrow. They turn off whenever I turn the key off for sure but I will see what happens when I turn the key to the "on" or "acc" position after the engine has been off for awhile and the dome light isn't working.

98mazdaman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My wipers won't work on the "acc" or the "on" position either when the truck has been off for awhile. I don't know if they ever have worked like that though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals