• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dual batteries for off road lighting

09RangerMike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys dont know much about electrical s but gotta learn somehow. Im trying to install off road lights in the front grill and on a rack on the roof. I want to know if there is a possible way of installing a second battery in my 09 ranger xlt? And can i hook up the lights to use them when the truck isnt running. Thanks guys i appreciate the help.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes ^^^

There are two types of 12volt batteries.
Regular car batteries and Deep cycle batteries

Regular car batteries can provide high amps quickly, for cranking starter motors, but are damaged if they are discharged too much, they have thin plates inside which allow for quick high amp discharges but deteriorate faster when used for long steady drains.

Deep cycle batteries have thicker plates, so can't provide the high amps as quickly, but are better at long steady discharges.

Deep cycle can still crank starter motor, and Regular battery can be used for long discharges, it's just that each has a specific purpose it was designed for so...........

Deep cycle would be best choice as 2nd battery, for running lights and stereo or ?? while engine is off.

It doesn't bother isolator or alternator to have the 2 different types of batteries, they are just 12volt batteries in that respect.

There are new "hybrid" batteries that claim to have the high amp discharge and the long drain ability, and if you were only running one battery I might suggest trying one of these.
But I have always found that "hybrids" are not "the best" at two things, they are a compromise so are just "OK" at two things, which isn't bad.

If running a 2nd battery I would look at getting a deep cycle.

Last edited:

09RangerMike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks a lot guys. Yeah the 2 nd battery is a deep cycle and u said it could power the lights AND the stereo? I would think tht would put a lot more stain on the alternator right? But if i did hook it up to the stereo too would it be ok still after installing 1200watt amp and 2 12in subwoofers? Sorry about all the questions like i said i dont know much about electrical work.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You have to remember the alternator only charges battery about 1% of the time, after recharging from starting the alternator is not using all its available amps.
Which is why a 2nd battery doesn't require a bigger alternator, it just outputs more amps while driving for a longer period to recharge 2nd battery if it was drained.

Yes, hook up stereo to 2nd battery, you should add capacitor(s) to subwoofer amp(s)

Subs have an intermittent high amp draw, the "boom, boom" low frequency notes, the caps store energy between those notes, and then it is used on those notes, makes for a smoother current draw.

With stereo hooked to 2nd battery you will know the engine will start the next morning, lol

Last edited:

09RangerMike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Oh ok didnt know tht about the alternator. The battery i want to put in is an Optima high performance AGM. Is this a good battery to run everything with? Would this battery also be able to jump the 1st battery just in case it died?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Never used an optima so can't say.

Regular or Deep cycle battery can start an engine, assuming one is charged, they are just different designs for long term use.

brentmc

Reaction score
I would install a battery isolator between the two batteries. The alternator will still charge both batteries but it'll keep from drawing power from both batteries while you use the radio and lites while not running the engine. I've not done this before and after a long night of cat fishing and listening to the radio I had to get a jump. Just my .02 cents

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals