• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Air conditioning and lifting the cab

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
I want to lift the cab off my B4000 and since this would also apply to Rangers I will ask this in the general forum. I have no problem removing the radiator if needed to take the cab off my truck. But do I need to remove the condenser for the AC also? If I do need to remove it are the quick connects like the one on the clutch that when you remove them they retain the freon or am I going to lose system integrity and blow freon all over the place? Having a system vacuumed out and charged is quite pricey here and I also don't wish to just disperse all that gas into the atmosphere for fear that I might get attacked by Al Gore or some other envirowhacko.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The compressor will be the only component that you will need to unbolt. Since it is bolted to the motor you can simply just unbolt and wire it up to hang when the cab is off. Unless of course you have lines snaking through the motor and brackets.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Ya I agree with Explorin94, you should be able to just unbolt the compressor and any brackets and wiring connected to the frame/engine.

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I want to lift the cab off my B4000 and since this would also apply to Rangers I will ask this in the general forum. I have no problem removing the radiator if needed to take the cab off my truck. But do I need to remove the condenser for the AC also? If I do need to remove it are the quick connects like the one on the clutch that when you remove them they retain the freon or am I going to lose system integrity and blow freon all over the place? Having a system vacuumed out and charged is quite pricey here and I also don't wish to just disperse all that gas into the atmosphere for fear that I might get attacked by Al Gore or some other envirowhacko.

Why would you care about Al Gore or "envirowhackos" in a 3rd world country like Panama?

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the idea about unbolting the compressor. Gave me one of those DUHHH why didn't I think of that moments. With this advice I should have the cab off this weekend.

Why would you care about Al Gore or "envirowhackos" in a 3rd world country like Panama?
Well... that was kind of a pointed joke. We don't really care here. I do a lot of household and small business air conditioning. I don't do car air because I don't feel like spending $250 for a tank of R134 or another $45 for the adapters to hook my gauges up to a car. Do we bother to capture and recycle the gas? No we normally shut down the high side line and crank on the unit to capture as much gas as we can then shut off the low side line. Any leftover gas is just vented into the air.

But we are starting to see a lot of the Obama t-shirt wearing, tree hugging, enviro-whackos moving into the area. They have been helping the indigenous inhabitants in protesting the mining projects on the north coast.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Thanks for the idea about unbolting the compressor. Gave me one of those DUHHH why didn't I think of that moments. With this advice I should have the cab off this weekend.

Well... that was kind of a pointed joke. We don't really care here. I do a lot of household and small business air conditioning. I don't do car air because I don't feel like spending $250 for a tank of R134 or another $45 for the adapters to hook my gauges up to a car. Do we bother to capture and recycle the gas? No we normally shut down the high side line and crank on the unit to capture as much gas as we can then shut off the low side line. Any leftover gas is just vented into the air.

But we are starting to see a lot of the Obama t-shirt wearing, tree hugging, enviro-whackos moving into the area. They have been helping the indigenous inhabitants in protesting the mining projects on the north coast.
I wouldnt have thought of that either! When i swapped the engine in my park avenue i just let it all escape, i paint at a body shop so recharging was free, looking back i probably didnt need to unhook it lol.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As long as the system stays sealed and with the compressor going up with the cab all should be good.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals