• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Carpet Cleaning

93splash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L of pure power :)
Transmission
Manual
Hey, I have a 1993 Ford ranger that i bought not to long ago and the carpet has always been dirty and has always bothered me. i don't think the previous owner knew what a vacuum was so i did what anybody would do. I went online and priced out a carpet and it was $109 but i decided not to spend that and spend my time cleaning the carpet that was already in my truck. Here are some pics of my journey.

Here is the carpet before i started

Pulled the carpet out of my truck and i found this underneath. Surface Rust. Its not that bad but i will sand down all the rust and undercoat the floor before i put it back together just for the added protection :damnit1:

:tease:

I took the carpet out of the truck and couldn't believe how dirt this thing really was.

I next put carpet cleaner on the carpet and let it soak in for about 10 min. I pressured washed the whole carpet and the dirt that came out of the carpet was amazing. The water was brown because of all the dirt that came out of it. :icon_thumby: The carpet is drying in my garage right now and will have pics of the finished project tomorrow.

Rusty

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Cool!

Amazing how much crud they accumulate over the years...mine were so waterlogged they weighed about 80Lbs...when they dried out I got way better gas mileage...did you clean out the floor pans too? Those rust spots can turn ugly really fast...had the panels rot out of my Tempo within a few years...

93splash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea I am going to sand all the rust down and hit all my floor pans and stuff with rubberized undercoat just to help with it. My whole under my truck is all undercoated and that is the last piece. Yea when my carpet was went after i pressure washed it it must oh weighed like 90 lbs because it was soaked. It took to of use to put it on top of the trashcan to let it dry lol. Later today I am going to make sure the carpet is dry and after i undercoat it put the carpet back in. Pics will sure to follow.

Rusty

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
that is some nasty carpet, on those rust areas after you sand the surface but before you undercoat it, i would advise you put a good quality rust treatment down first. if you have it available where you are at i would suggest OSPHO[sp] or something simular to prime and seal the rust areas and if you plan on undercoating the entire floorpan you will want to rough up the entire surface to promote better adhesion [ they don't tell you that on the can but i found out through trial and error] and then put down your rust treatment prior to undercoating, and if you put down 3-4 coats allowing one hour dry time between coats and then 24 hours cure time before putting carpet back in it will also give a little sound deadening quality too.

Last edited:

93splash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ill keep my eye out for rust treatment when i go into town today to get the undercoat. Yea that carpet was nasty.

rusty

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
My floor was similar to yours on my first Ranger...and I was seriously considering dumping the carpet and putting in plain old rubber...but I couldn't find one that wasn't ripped (I now know they can be bought though)...

Show us some pics of the finished product...if you have time that is...

93splash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pictures are uploading as we speak. Photo bucket is being so slow today. Its so much better. Pics will be on trs as soon as it uploads.

here are the pics

So much Better

Comments Welcome :) :)

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Good job; it really does look nice. I'm curious; was your build sheet below the carpet?

93splash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nope that would be sweet though. I would like to know information about my truck. Thanks for the comment.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Thanks; there wasn't a build sheet in my '94, either, but there was one under the carpet in my '90 B2. Guess that they stopped leaving it in them sometime in the early 90s.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Looks much better than the first photo...but you shifter boot could use a bit of cleaning...lol!

Did you manage to redo the floors before putting the carpet back in?

93splash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea i know my shifter needs a cleaning. I cleaned it right after the picture lmao looks a lot better now shiny black lmao.

Yea i fixed the rust on my floors by using a wire brush and then put down some rust remover kinda like por but a different brand that my local auto parts store had. Then after i let that dry for about a hour then hit it with a whole can of rubberized undercoating. Sorry no pics but its was nice and helped with the sound to inside me cab.

thanks for the comments

Rusty

Bunnell1988

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks much better than it did. I detailed cars over the summer. Its amazing how dirty carpets and seats are when they come in, before getting hit with the steam cleaner.

Nice work

93splash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

I would love to use a steam cleaner on my seats but i don't have one available and to cheep to go have my truck detailed lmao. I herd something about the carpet cleaners that you can rent at like Hannford and use them as a steam cleaner but i am not sure.

thanks again

Rusty

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals