• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 2.9l Ranger Alternator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
My alternator just went so I am crunched for time. I have done quite a bit of research but since i am now forced to get a new alternator, i would like not have to buy a new one only to replace it again in the next few weeks.

I have been doing reading into upgrading my alternator because I am upgrading the stereo, installing an electric fan, and possibly getting higher output lighting.

Here is my problem. Normally i would do lots of reading before i jump into a DIY project so i hit the least amount of snags possible. I also HATE doing anything electrical. I would like to upgrade my factory alternator to a 3G alternator doing the 3G swap, but i have two problems:

1. I dont know what alternator i have 2G or 1G.
2. I still dont understand the wiring setup and the requirements to swap from one style to the other.

I do not have a local scrap yard that i can get to. here is a kit i was looking to get:

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=17&catid=45&ret=catalog.php?category=45

i was looking at this because it comes as a kit with the wiring harness and all. I have a bad feeling about the alternator but i just need some input.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

ALSO, please let me know if this thread is in the wrong location. I have been very busy the past week and might be loosing my mind :tease:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals