• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

first post.

alfacliff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
previous
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 2003 ranger has a 3 liter v6 that has been replaced. some of the stuff attached to the engine isnt connected ( hoses and such) is there any wway to identify whch engine I have in my truck now? and where tghe engine might be marked?
cliff

alfacliff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
previous
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes its running, just trying to find out more about it. by the way, its an ohv. theres a hose with a curled up steel tube hooked to the heater hose connections, looks like it might have been a heater for a pcv laying on top of the engine with nowhere to go. and a few other things. the engine ocasionally kicks back under acceleration, and the check engine light is on all the time. I have tried to read codes, but never get any from the ecu. my old 95 ranger used obd2, but I thought that the newer ones used standard obd readers.
cliff

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
theres a hose with a curled up steel tube hooked to the heater hose connections, looks like it might have been a heater for a pcv laying on top of the engine with nowhere to go. and a few other things.
Pics?

You'll need the engine serial number which Ford can then tell you what year and specs, etc. I don't know where the number is but someone here may be able to tell you where to look. There should be a vacuum routing diagram on the hood of the truck as well as emission info.

Why so little info on this engine? Do you have truck titled with local DMV?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's probably just another 3.0. It sounds like maybe they did a hot water bypass or something? A picture would definitely help.

alfacliff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
previous
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bought the truck used and the dealer said they put in another engine. I have found out since that it was a repo after a devorce in another statel, might have to do with the engine change. the curled steel tube is in the coolant system, thats why I thought it might be a heater for the pcv valve or something. if they used an engine from another year or something, maybe I could find out why the obd reader cannot read it. also, the suto trans seems to have one more shift than the indicator on the column shows., possibly a 4 speed overdrive from a car?

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I bought the truck used and the dealer said they put in another engine.
I'd contact your state DMV and ask what the rules are for switching engines. Years ago the federal rules changed to prevent stolen parts showing up in sold vehicles. The VIN and Engine # are supposed to match and be recorded. A change of engine with title would require receipts for parts for DVM.

The dealer should be providing you with what you want to know. They have strict state laws governing dealers. I'd do more digging and look at your paperwork - "dealer said" is not reliable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals