• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine swap

Cougarman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I currently own a 1998 Ranger 3.0 4x4 with around 217k. The auto trans has been acting up not su re how much longer it will last. I also have access to 2other Rangers a 2006 4x2 and 2008 4x4 both 3.0. Would these engines be drop in. I know these newer vehicles have the pats system and my old one does not. I would like to swap the engine and the trans from these since these newer engines were paired with a 5 speed auto in place of the 4 speed I currently have. Has anyone here ever done this?

flatlandriver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I now own 2 Rangers, both '99s. The latest is an automatic so I was looking up tranny stuff, same basic transmission as our old Aerostar, with which we had minor problems years ago.
Knowing that these transmissions are infamous for developing leaks, internal valve body wear and associated solenoid problems, I would first swap in an upgraded, rebuilt valve body in the tranny you've already got. I'm going to be swapping one into mine as a preventive measure.
Also, I read that the same upgraded valve body is used for both the 4spd and 5spd automatics, and that the 5spd doesn't actually have 5 gears, the tc is just locked during the upshift process to provide 2nd. Controlled by the ecu. I stand to be corrected on this last as I haven't seen the guts of a 4spd and 5spd side by side

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Should be a drop in swap. Just use all of the sensors and electronics from your 98. The upper intake manifolds were plastic beginning in 01, and the coil packs were slightly different and mounted to the valve cover instead of the intake manifold. You can probably use either all your 98 stuff, or all of the 01+ stuff but mixing and matching might cause some headaches for you.
PATS shouldn't be an issue because you'll be using the 98 PCM and column. Basically, use all of the electronics from your 98, and you'll never know the difference.

Cougarman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the responses. I will look into the valve body upgrade and see if that fixes the issue. As long as these other trucks are drop in I will keep that in mind. Hopefully I get some more time out of my current engine.

bucko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Make sure you research the compatability of your 98 PCM (or ECU) usage to the later 3.0 sensors and transmission you plan to use. While everything can appear to be a "bolt on" process, the electronincs, that being the engine management and transmission shifting (if automatic) can be a problem if there's changes within the years.

My son has a 1995 Toyota 4runner that he recently bought from a "friend" that did a engine/ttransmission swap from a 98 model. To date, he has CEL codes that will not clear, as his engine management box (PCM/ECU) differs in the mapping of the engine and transmission combo of the latter drivetrain. Getting the PCM/ECU of the current drivetrain is a nightmare too, as he is finding that the PCM/ECU cintrols issues more than just the engine and transmission shift points. His alternative is to buy a PCM/ECU that is progammable, allowing him to map it to his current setup. This however is a costly purchase (almost a grand).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals