• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bump stops.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I went out tonight to test my new Chevy springs. I need bump stops.

Any suggestions on what to use?

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
The factory 2.5" lift blocks have the appropriate extensions to contact the factory bumpstops. Im guessing you removed those blocks? If so just put a piece of flat stock in its place at the bottom of your leaf pack, or at the top depending on how much flex.

If you still have the factory lift blocks then youll have to find an extended rubber bumpstop to the frame.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes I still have the blocks. On top of the leafs. I have Chevy 64's now. So I need a longer bump since I need longer shocks.

Any idea where I can find an extended bump?

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Is the tire rubbing or are you just concerned about the collapsed length of the longer shocks youll be fitting?

You can always pull a bumpstop from a larger truck. You will have to find one that mounts the same way to the frame as yours or custom mount one.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just concerned about the new shocks compressed length. And also the tire to fender.

But mostly shock. Fenders can be trimmed. Don't wanna keep bottoming out shocks though. Can't be good.

Going to use f250 shocks. Their 30 extended and 18 compressed I believe.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
what are your current measurements? Take the shock off and bottom out the axle on the bumpstop. Measure from frame perch to axle perch for the shock. That will give you a good idea of where you are.

To be honest though most shocks compress way before youll ever hit the factory bumpstop. As long as you are just flexing over something bottoming out the shocks wont do any real damage. The damage comes from when the vehicle is overloaded and hitting bumps on the road compressing the shock at a fast rate over and over again. Ive only ever blown out one shock on all my trucks and it was an overloaded 2wd on the road. All my 4x4s shocks bottom out and stop any flex well before the tire can hit the body or the axle hit the bumpstop. Ive never had an issue yet and I haul very heavy loads over uneven terrain constantly bottoming out my shocks.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I've been know to get a little airborn a time or two. So I'd rather not buy new shocks and blow them lol

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Some nice long bumpstops is the best youll do then. I measured my truck to no end and still cant find a shock that allows enough compression to use all the flex my setup can offer. There are only so many shocks out there and most guys are running them on similar lifts without issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals