• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

LP non CAD D30 build up.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
First off, I'm doing the d30. Don't tell me to do a d44, don't tell me I'll kill the d30, etc.

Secondly, I'm completely new to the sas scene. I know very little about solid axles but I learn fast. I did a few searches on here in regards to d30's under rangers, came up with little info. I blame Tapatalks search function.

Alright, so I'm getting a LP 2000 xj d30 for cheap. Will build it up as I have spare cash for parts. Once it's done I'll toss it under my fx4.

What I want from you guys is suggestions on parts to use, brands, etc.
Basically starting from scratch. It has no axles, etc. I'll be gearing it to 4.56 most likely. So I'll need a new carrier I know that much.

If YOU were building a d30, how would you do it.

School me.

Don't hold back, call me an idiot, whatever. I know threads probably exist but I can't find em, and I'm not spending hours searching. Forums are for posting. Its not an archive, don't like it, deal with it.

Ok go.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Find a d30 with 3:73 gears, they're everywhere, then you won't have to change carriers, I have two in my shed.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Good for you. One I'm getting is 3.55's. Not a big deal.

Moving on.

Anyone have any useful input?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure where the carrier break is on the d30, you might be ok with 3:55.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure where the carrier break is on the d30, you might be ok with 3:55.
im pretty sure its 3.55, most automatics come with 3.55.

as for the d30, it has the same size u joints as the ranger and the dana 44, i see people beat on them with 35's and some people even throw 37's on them without chromoly shafts, i dont often see one blow up, ussually its just the tube the bends, so truss it if you want big tires.

i wheel with a guy thats been all over doing rock crawling, mudding, snow wheeling, and he has 4.88 with 37's, never broken any thing.

because it uses the same u joint as a 44 its pretty much just as good as a 44, except if you were to upgrade to chromoly u joints and chromoly shafts in a 44.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Its like anything else cheap. Its going to last if you baby it.

Low pinion D30s dont last long with 35s or better. The ring gear and pinion will give way before any other part beside the case itself. The cases warp pretty easy under moderate use with 35 plus tires. You can truss it though and help it out as far as the case.

I wouldnt sink a dime into it besides gears. Gear it and use all the existing parts because the ring and pinion will give out long before the stock shafts. Start a D44 or at the very least a high pinion D30 savings account and prepare to be building one soon to replace the current.

There is a reason why the Cherokees and such with the Low pinion D30s only had 27" tires from the factory. Just be prepared to break it.

mkyhmltn

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So a high pinion popped up for sale last night after I got the low pinion lol. So I'm grabbing that one now to.

Yes I'll probably truss it, gusset the inner c's etc.

I'll run stock shafts till they break or till I've saved up for chromoly shafts. And if they don't break before then they will become spares.

A jeep d44 and d30 are practically the same aside from ring gear size. And from what I've read the u joints will give out long before the gears will.
Plenty of folks out there running 35's on stock d30's and for what I do right now I'll be more than fine. In the future if I get into trails with rocks, and want 37's I'll look into something bigger.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals