• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger Rick. 1987 Ranger

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Totally got a free intake from a dude at Napa. I needed a new filter and he had one sitting around. I may still put in a stick one if I can find one but this was cheap and it works

Finding more rust in the cab

After a moment with my dremel

Got to use dome of my favorite tools. Somethings just really satisfying to me about the cleco. This patch didn't end up staying though.

And then more holes on the passenger side. I'll be pulling out that insulation and patching this too.

Still working on the engine too. I have a new EGR on the way. I cleaned the old one out and it now runs worse. It's not holding any vacuum at all. Cleaning was me just being optimistic. New one and a new sensor will be here on Wednesday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
This patch is working this time

My welds and welder kinda suck but that's what seam sealer and bondo are for right?

New versus old EGR. Runs really harsh now. I think that it's the MAP sensor. The code it threw was pretty ambiguous and could be EGR or MAP. So that'll probably be next up to be replaced

Mucho carbon build up

New EGR and electrical sensor installed

Last edited:

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm waiting on a new MAP sensor and some gaskets for the upper and lower intake. I pulled it all off to clean it and decided to order new gaskets.
I'm really missing having access to a parts cleaner. There's a lot of caked on deposits in there. Wish I could have just dunked the parts and let them sit.

Since then I've just been preparing for paint. I pulled the fender off and started using aircraft paint stripper. Which totally worked terrifyingly fast.

I also got a big goal done for the build and finally painted the cab floor. It's only the first coat but so far it's looking good. I only covered half the floor. I still have work to do on the fire wall and passenger side along with the back wall (of which I'd like to pull the rear window out for.)

It was POR-15 that I put on there. The can almost didn't open. Not sure it sealed properly when I finished up. Luckily there wasn't a ton left over

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Anyone have advice on how to get this bolt out? I've been trying to get it out so I can put my drop beams in but I've failed to get it to move at all. I'm pretty close to just up and cutting it out: which I really want to avoid since I don't want to track down new bolts and possibly new radius arms.

ksack

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Pipe is your friend. I just use the handle to my jack

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Pipe is your friend. I just use the handle to my jack

Been doing that. I even have an impact gun. It's not moving a bit. Just soak it more in penetrating oil?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wow. When I pulled down the front end on my 86 a 1/2" drive breaker bar on the head and a wrench on that nut pulled that bolt out on both sides. I don't recall even having to use any penetrant on it. Of course I'm in the southeast instead of the northwest, so could be very different situation for you.

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Wow. When I pulled down the front end on my 86 a 1/2" drive breaker bar on the head and a wrench on that nut pulled that bolt out on both sides. I don't recall even having to use any penetrant on it. Of course I'm in the southeast instead of the northwest, so could be very different situation for you.

Lucky you. I've been trying really hard. So far I've just used half a can of PB Blaster and started to mar the bolt head. Had to check and make sure I wasn't going the wrong way. I'm not.

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My engine is running better but still like crap. Anyone have any ideas? The only thing I haven't looked at is the fuel system. https://youtu.be/nFG20JAQ_GY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
Fuel filter? Is it carbed or fuel injected?

Posted using stuff

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Fuel filter? Is it carbed or fuel injected?

Posted using stuff

I haven't done anything with the fuel system so it could need a new filter.

It's a 2.3l with fuel injection.

It was running alright up until a couple months ago when I started changing plugs and generally cleaning and tuning. Could the fact that it's not been run aside from at idle for a while (hasn't hit the road since about May when I got it)

I also got a KOEO 87. I know it has to do with the pump but I'm not sure where to even start

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Pretty sure that my fuel pump is bad and that's where the 87 code is coming from. I did a fuel pressure test today and it gets up to 40 psi but waivers a lot. Mostly sits at about 37 psi and moves around a lot. At startup it goes down about 5 psi but will also dip down more. When I turn the engine off completely the pressure bleeds off instantly

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ordered a new fuel pump and an IAC. Just hedging my bets with the latter. Hopefully the pump solves my issues. At the very least it appears that my pump is shot anyways.

I tried to replace the fuel pump relay but found out that I don't have one or any other relay other than my EEC relay.

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm pretty sure that there is no fuel pump relay or harness to put one into. The fuel pump gets power to it and works (aside from it being broken) so someone at some point deleted the relay harness and installed a line with a 10 amp fuse in it. Should I be worried about this? Just wondering if I need to go in and figure out how to wire in a new harness.

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well I'm back to working on my truck. I had to let it sit for a while since I had to have surgery and I started going back to school.

At the moment here's where I stand.

The engine died and it took ages for me to get it running again. I changed nearly everything on there. Cap, rotor, coil, plug wires, battery, all new battery cables are in there. I put a new starter and starter relay in. There's a new timing belt and tensioner. I had a wonderful time tracking down a short to ground. My starter wold crank then come to a full stop. Turn out a ground wires hold down was stripped and arching on the body. Found it when I was looking into the engine bay as it got start. Saw it pop and knew right where I had to go.
In the end it was the firing order that got off when I changed the cap out even though I check it so many times. I switched the wires around and then it roared to life. Next I just need to get a timing light on it after I get a new water pump and the covers on.

Chalking it up to learning. Check and recheck your work. Not sure what fixed it for sure but a lot of those parts were on the edge anyways. So if it wasn't the problem it sure wasn't helping.

Right now I'm on the hunt for a whole wiring harness along with the fuse box. I'm tired of looking at the horrible wiring. It's really hack. Lots of splices. Many of the relays and I'm sure all the fusible links are gone. I'm heading to the pick and pull today but I'm not optimistic. Does anyone have a harness that I can buy off them?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals