• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Little Green Turd

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Small update... Throttle cable snapped at the pedal a few weeks back. Some electrical tape and a pair of vise grips got the truck home and I got a new cable from the junkyard. Also had the exhaust rust through at the supporting hangar. I got the exhaust on the Ranger fixed with parts I had on the shelf. I only had to buy the 45 angle piece. Here is what I cut off.

The rusted piece is an aluminized tip from Advance. The straight pipe is Summit Racing aluminized pipe. Apparently they are not created equal....

Installed a new Summit universal hangar on the bed support.

It is now very secure and tucked up nicely.

The coolant flush has worked very well. The Ranger doesn't get nearly as hot even on 95 degree days. It still could probably use a fan clutch, but it is fine for now.

I have a new flywheel, friction disc, and rear main seal for the engine. I just need to find a day to pull the tranny and swap the parts.

And finally, I accepted a new job that I start this coming Monday. It has a very healthy pay increase which will allow me to save more and hopefully put a few more $$$ into toys. I have a few things I want to update on the Ranger and nice list for the F250. Only time will :D

:beer::beer::beer:

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
Congrats on the job!

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks! I am very excited to see how it goes. I am going from small private company back to a large corporation. I know some of what to expect, I am just curious as to how I will cope with it.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
So I have been tinkering a bit with the Ranger. I DD it back and forth to work for a total of 60 miles per day. Since it is highway driving, I have turned my attention to extraction a bit more power so my foot is not always on the floor. After doing some reading, it seems that uppin injector size from 14lb/hr to 17lb/hr is the ticket. So after it passes inspection in September, I will swap in some new injectors. Since I am adding more fuel, I figured it is a good time to replace/upgrade the original ignition module (223k miles on it) for the exhaust side spark plugs (the 4 that cause combustion). I went with MSD-8241 which is listed for 95-04 Mustang Cobra. Got it down to $55 from Advance which seem pretty reasonable. I initially noticed the engine runs better at top end.

Only problem was one of the mounting screws snapped off regardless of my best efforts to remove it safely. Oh well.

I have a few other oddball items on there way and I will order the injectors soon. :beer:

Here is a nice reference:
http://www.route66hotrodhigh.com/2300Shockin.html

Divh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i went with accel coils on my 89 and wires and msd plugs and did notice a difference as well what are you hearing about the injectors

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
The engine does not get enough fuel from the 14lb/hr injectors. The factory computer can apparently compensate up to 17lb/hr in the factory tuning. Check out this page: http://www.route66hotrodhigh.com/FuelShot.html

Power steering pressure sensor changed. I pulled the busted one off years ago and never replaced it.

New fan clutch:

I ordered injectors yesterday. Inspection is scheduled for next Thrusday. Injectors will go in following that.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
The Ranger passed inspection on the first try!!!!!! I greased everything up and checked it out Wednesday night. At that point I discovered that a leaf cracked and I replaced the u-joint at the rear axle. I also have to order new tires today. So immediately plans....

Upgrade fuel injectors
Replace plugs and wires
Replace valve cover gasket
Seafoam Spray Engine
Get Ranger wheels sand blasted to remove ****ty powder coat
Install new tires
Pull tranny to replace flywheel, friction disc, and rear main seal
Finally reconnect oil pressure gauge and stop small leak
Replace cracked rear leaf spring
Spray oil undercoat

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
I got the injectors, spark plugs, and wires installed this weekend. First response is a noticable increase in power. I have a vacuum leak that I still need to find, but after that, I should be good.

Cracked gasket. Good thing a new one came with the valve cover gasket set that I didn't use.

New spark plug for exhaust side of head, old exhaust side head plug moving to intake side, old intake side moving to trash can. The intake side plugs were in BAD shape.... which is inderstandable. They are an SOB to replace and those have been in there for 80k miles.

New rebuilt 17 lb/hr injectors vs the stock ones

The old ones were a single nozzle. The new ones have 4 tiny nozzles.

New wires

Factory wires with 223k on them.

Here are the trashed spark plugs

I got some stuff to fix my suspected vacuum leak points which I will do tonight. Hopefully that will smooth the idle out. If not, I will look into some other options. :icon_thumby:

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Replaced the hoses and connectors I thought were the problem and no change. The next suspect is the EGR gasket. I didn't replace it and now that I think of it, it was in bad shape. That will be tomorrow's attempt.

Sent from my iPhone

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
So this has snowballed a bit.... I started a new thread in the 4 Banger forum to get some help on this issue. See here:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168944

So far, new EGR gasket, new throttle body gasket, new EGR solenoid, and new EGR valve. Just a little more work to solve the issue I hope.... Runs and drives great and idles great for 45 seconds or so, then it poops its pampers. See video below. VAC gauge is bottom left and tack in upper right.

I other news, my new tires have arrived.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Ok. So the problem is resolved. The issue was an old piece of upper intake manifold gasket that I missed. Replaced all upper gaskets and we are good to go.

So here was my old EGR solenoid (also called EVR)

And the new one.

And here is the sound difference between new and old. Something was broken in the old one.

New EVR broke. Replaced with another new one (at no charge).

Cleaned the throttle body.

Cleaned the upper manifold as well. The EGR channel was almost completely plugged.

All put back together with the original EGR valve. I returned the new one since it was $55 I did not need to spend. I need to run Seafoam Spray through the engine now. Possibly tonight or this weekend.

So the engine is supposed to be able to handle 14-17lb injectors and I would say that it does (without programming changes). I notice a bit more power and it is easier to hold top speed. I'd say more than anything, acceleration feels better. I am not sure if the engine is actually getting more fuel or if it is because everthing is new and cleaning and properly functioning. I am curious to see if it pass emissions next year with the larger injectors. :icon_hornsup:

Next on the list is tires, then pull the tranny to change the friction disc and flywheel. I was going to get my wheels refinished, but I decided to wait until spring. No point in having them done and then immediately putting them into a lovely salty winter. :icon_thumby:

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
I got my new tires installed Saturday. They are Pro-Comp A/T Sport 31x10.50s. I am happy with them thus far. They ride nice on the highway and looks like they should have more than sufficient grip for the winter.

The wheels are going to get cleaned up and powdercoated this spring. I could reason with doing it right before winter.

Yesterday, I picked up a set of Explorer leaves off Craigslist. $60 for the pair removed from the truck was good in my book. They are off a 95-01 Explorer.

These should be an excellent repalcment for by tire stock (and slighty) broken leaf springs. I need to dig into them one night this week. The plan is to pull them apart, clean them up, paint them with 2 coats of silver Chassis Saver and then 2-3 coats of Slip Plate. I am going to order new spring pads as the stock ones are about dissolved. I also may need new center bolts and mounting isolaters. These should come togther over the next few weeks amongst everything else I am trying to get done before winter. :beer::beer::beer:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When I did my springs the shop sold me spring pads that had two mounting protrusions. They told me to cut them in half so saved a few bucks there.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind while shopping.

Did they get you the insulator pads for between the leaves at the centerbolt?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals