• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Old School 1986

Louisville86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Haven't posted much lately, but here's a shot I took this morning after a quick wash.

I've had my Ranger five years this month. It's been a lot of fun and I hope to keep driving it for a lot longer!

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It's nice to see such a clean original Ranger.

Louisville86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Still enjoying the Ranger; here's what I just bought:

A vintage topper for my vintage truck! Found it on Craigslist for $150; I drove up to look at it today and was impressed by how nice it was (all the glass is there; it has its screens the key/lock are functional). If you've looked for these you know it's hard to find nice ones that fit on a longbed like mine.

The guy from whom I purchased the topper had it on an old Isuzu P'Up; he said before that it was on another Ranger. He was super cool and even helped me put it on.

I'm pleased with my purchase!

fivestring

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 2.9
Transmission
Manual

Louisville86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't realize until I was washing it yesterday evening that it's not bare aluminum but is painted a pale titanium/champagne color. Goes well with Colonial White, I think.

Louisville86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Of course I wanted to find one like this:

(look at all those windows!) but I couldn't :icon_thumby:

xN07xH311x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You should find an Airstream pull with that!:headbang::icon_thumby:

Louisville86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Still Rangering Along

I haven't been too active lately, but I still have my old '86, and still love her!

Spring bath yesterday - it's in the 70s in Denver.

The bad news is that I have a leaky water pump; I'm going to her in the shop in the next few weeks.

The topper I bought last year is working out well. It's nice to have a lockable storage space.

That's all - keep on Rangering!

Louisville86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Spring Awakening

Another winter is over and the Ranger was wanting some attention with a leaky water pump. I think it had the original Autolite one, so 125K is a pretty good run.

I was going to do the job myself but I changed my mind when I saw I'd have to buy a special fan-clutch tool.

Also had to get a smog test . . . boo! Ran the Air Care Colorado gauntlet once again. I sometimes wonder what life in the Communist Bloc was like. This place gives a good simulation, I'd bet. Can't wait for Collector Plates in a couple of years!

But the old girl did well (2.00 HC vs. 4.00, 27.29 CO vs. 40.00, 3.55 NOx vs. 6.00) so I'm pleased. The new water pump is also in and she is running cool as a cucumber.

Spot the new part - I'm glad I took it to a mechanic. Carl (who is a great one) told me that two bolts broke taking the old pump off, and AutoZone gave me the wrong upper radiator hose. Sometimes it's worth it to hire a professional!

Louisville86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2016 Update

I've still got the Ranger; not much to report. Waiting for 2019 when I can get collector plates (it's 33 years in Colorado, which really sucks; it used to be 25). Viva Ranger!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is a darn clean little truck, keep up the good work. :icon_thumby:

Louisville86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks; I still have a couple of minor issues. One is the leaky power brake vacuum booster, but that's been going on for several years.

The other issue is a rattling sound from the brakes that I only notice if I drive with the window down. Rattles when I go over a bump. If I lightly apply the brakes the rattle stops. The brakes work fine otherwise.

Anybody know what this could be?

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
Thanks; I still have a couple of minor issues. One is the leaky power brake vacuum booster, but that's been going on for several years.

The other issue is a rattling sound from the brakes that I only notice if I drive with the window down. Rattles when I go over a bump. If I lightly apply the brakes the rattle stops. The brakes work fine otherwise.

Anybody know what this could be?
Probably your brake pads are getting loose. It happened to my Ranger because the securing pins were worn out. Added some gray silicone all around the pads and goodbye rattling

Last edited:

Rangerx2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.7 V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Always question authority
Louisville, I gotta say, I love that truck! With a few differences, it reminds me of the 86 that I had in high school, and learned how to drive a stick on! Mine was medium blue with the same blue interior, but a 2.3/5-speed, 2wd. Mine was also a Supercab, but very few options. It was a workin' little truck! I still have pictures of my old 'Grumpy'. I'm in the mood to get another 1st gen Ranger to restore and play with. Right now the timing ain't right for me.

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
I've still got the Ranger; not much to report. Waiting for 2019 when I can get collector plates (it's 33 years in Colorado, which really sucks; it used to be 25). Viva Ranger!

That sucks I'm waiting 2 yrs more for my antique plates On my 94 with 5.0 . Here in Texas it's 24 or older . My 87 rx7 already has the 5 yr antique plates no inspection already [emoji48]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals