• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What kind of oil do you guys run in the 2.9?

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Stay away from the cheap filters!! They are pure junk and only wind up filtering for about 500 miles then it just goes into bypass mode. If you are used to diesels as it appears from your post, use the same filters that most heavy truckers use..Baldwin. They have applications for the 2.9 and are a high quality filter. Truckers have to make a living with there trucks and most won't even think about sacrificing quality when it comes to there very expensive engines, hence most use Baldwin filters. I also like the Rotella oil and again most truckers use Rotella. I've heard alot of people swear by synthetic in the 2.9 but have yet to try it myself. Hope this helps.

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Pennzoil 5w30 & PZ1 oil filter - never done me wrong

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I'll never use Penzoil.. I've seen the buildup in valve covers and things. Maybe its just me and the vehicles i've seen. Idk. I agree with greasemonkey. Truckers live by their trucks running and not breaking down. And i've used rotella in everything for years... once again, thats just me b/c my father is a diesel mechanic and thats all he ever has used. But its never failed me. I'll recommend it to anything except racing dirtbikes or quads that turn so many rpm's.

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The ONLY time you'll see sludge build up is lack of maintenance. I'm sick of the Pennzoil bashing, people have no idea wtf they are talking about. it's all 2nd hand bs.

Do your research and quit bashing Pennzoil. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennzoil

As of FY 2007 Pennzoil was the number one selling motor oil in the United States
Hmm, #1 selling motor oil... and there are still a LOT of cars/trucks on the streets.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals