• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sparks when starting

CowBoyDave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I go to start my truck and sparks fly on one of the terminals. Truck wont turn over. Everything blacks out when I try and start and then sparks come. Did I connect the battery incorrectly? Something wrong with the terminal? Need help ASAP!!!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Double check your connections where the sparks are happening. It sounds like a loose connection. Also make sure positive connection is correct. The positive cable is the one that goes to the starter edit from the solenoid.

Last edited:

CowBoyDave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Stupid question, is the positive the one that is on the right or left when facing the truck? Does the positive have three cords or one?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It depends on your battery. I may have gave wrong info. IIRC From the positive battery terminal the cable goes to the solenoid on the passenger fender. From the opposite side of the solenoid one thick cable goes to the starter. Normally the negative has one thick cable go to an engine ground, there may be another thin cable going to the body behind/ around the passenger headlight.

CowBoyDave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Okay, I think I have it on wrong. I have the negative side of the battery pointing to the drivers fender. Positive is pointing to passenger fender. Ill switch those over. Thanks for the help.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Don't just go swapping battery cables around, or you're likely to fry things.

First, clean your battery until you find both the + and - marks molded into the battery case, and you're sure which is which. The red cable goes to the + terminal. If you don't have a red cable, the cable that goes to the starter solenoid goes to the + terminal. The other cable (should be black) goes to the - terminal.

It sounds like your battery cable(s) may be frayed. Inspect them closely, and replace them if they're damaged.

Make sure the terminals are clean and the clamps are tight.

If you find that the cables are already hooked up backwards, then damage may already have occurred. Correct the problem, check your fuses, cross your fingers, and see if it runs.

CowBoyDave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Okay, so I went out the truck this morning to look at it. Luckily, I had the positive terminal on the correct side. The positive was running the the little black box thing the the passengers fender. But I guess ill explain how this all came about. So last night I installed a new head light. But it on checked if it worked, lights turned on including headlights. Put the key in the ignition, everything peeps, dash lights turn on the kit and caboodle. Put in the clutch, go to start the truck, sparks on positive terminal and everything blacks out in the cab and outside of the truck. Tried to reverse batter once but by the time I actually got one of the terminals on I knew it was wrong because it was sparking. So I flipped it again, went to start the truck, same thing. Sparks and blacks out. Any idea what is going on? Bad terminal? Short in the lighting wire? Thanks for the help.

CowBoyDave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
How do you also tell if the battery terminal is damaged? Everything worked on the truck until I added the new head light.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Can you post a pic of where the sparks are happening?
It sounds like something isn't tight enough. Sparks happen when electricity needs to jump a gap. Can also happen if there is too much current for the wire and it heats up red hot and melts.
The sparks and it blacks out indicates to me that you have a battery cable terminal at the battery post not connected tight enough or the ground at the engine somehow loosened. Really check all the wires in the vicinity of the light you replaced.

CowBoyDave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
All right, ill look into those. I now the + is on tight same with the -. But ill look down on the ground wire. Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals