• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clunking when accelerating

Mike1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 93 ranger with a 5 speed makes a clunking noise when I let off the throttle while cruising and a worse clunk if i get back on the throttle. Its a single cab shortbed, so one piece driveline. The ujoints don't have play. The engine mounts seem fine and I replaced the transmission nount. I can't figure it out. Its a very noticable clunk that you feel in the seat.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, even though the u-joints may feel like there is no play...it is not always the case...did you pull the drive shaft and inspect them or just crawled under and wiggled things?

On my own truck I had the same issue...more so when going around corners...crawled under and thought I checked them out good...but turned out that wasn't good enough...

Only other thing it could be other than one of two or three U-joints is the rear end...check the fluid level on that and top up as needed...

Mike1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I just went under and wiggled aggressively and found nothing. If I pull the driveshaft, how would I further inspect the ujoints, and I hace not checked the rear end fluid level. Would low fluid cause it?

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
does your truck have a 2 piece drive shaft? I just repleaced the middle u-joint in mine and trust me, when you take the drive shaft off you will know if one of the u-joints is pooched. it will have tons of slop in it while it is in your hand. mine was to the point of 1/8 inch play and all dust in the bearings... actually luckily it didn't bust on the side of the road on me but really close to it. easiest way to test the drive shaft is raise one of the drive wheels off the ground, driver side, chock front tires place gears in N, and test the play in the shafts, you will know then if you have u-joint probs. back rear end set is 12 point socket if you need to take it out....

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yeah I just went under and wiggled aggressively and found nothing. If I pull the driveshaft, how would I further inspect the ujoints, and I hace not checked the rear end fluid level. Would low fluid cause it?
Definitely low fluid can cause clunks...but more likely that will only precede a total failure by a few hours/days/miles...

Worth checking...if you can't do it yourself take it to a lube shop or mechanic...

Before you pull the drive shaft it might help to actually pick up at least one U-joint unless you have a second vehicle...or live close to a parts store...

Last time mine went I was about 1/4 mile from one shop and 5 miles from the place that had the parts in stock...I was fortunate because it was late on a Friday and busy...and cold...had to walk the drive shaft to the one shop and then cab to the other one to get the part...then cab back to the shop that put it in for me...

Cost me $100 just in cab fair and labour to do a job that I could have done myself for about $20...including the part...

Mike1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It only has 2 u joints so I think its a one piece, also no carrier or slip yoke. Like I said I haven't checked the fluid in the differential but when I changed it on the front to oull the axles, it was very milky and nasty. I wonder if the rear is the same way.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
hey mark, at least you were close to town, (shops) when yours broke, (still sucks 100 bucks though) had one go one time years back, and it was a side of the highway deal, got lucky though there was a pick n pull just up the road 15 clicks and was able to hitch a ride there and BS'ed my way into a free drive shaft with u-joints... the owner felt bad for me and said take it. never left home with out a couple socket sets... damn still the same today... never leave home with out a spare vehicle in the trunk just in case.....

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Check spring and shackle bushings. And radius arm bushings.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
hey mark, at least you were close to town, (shops) when yours broke, (still sucks 100 bucks though) had one go one time years back, and it was a side of the highway deal, got lucky though there was a pick n pull just up the road 15 clicks and was able to hitch a ride there and BS'ed my way into a free drive shaft with u-joints... the owner felt bad for me and said take it. never left home with out a couple socket sets... damn still the same today... never leave home with out a spare vehicle in the trunk just in case.....
Yes Angie, it wasn't too bad...middle of winter...crawling under the truck...I was double lucky on that one because the drive shaft got hung up on an old muffler hanger and otherwise would have maybe gotten beat up by biting the pavement...sounds like you did OK too...

Check spring and shackle bushings. And radius arm bushings.
Good point Richard...just finished doing both my spring hangers and the front and rear bushings were quite beat up...problem was finding the bushings for the front...had to buy an entire bushing kit just for the one front bushing...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Here is a link to an aftermarket radius arm install. It shows the bushings at the end of the arm that you need to look at. I'm not sure how to describe how to test other than maybe using a prybar and making sure the arm doesn't move much...if at all. Pry just in front of where the arm connects to the frame, in the neighborhood of under your feet.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/skyjacker_radius_arms.shtml
And be sure to check out the tech section where I found that,
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
hey floored... good call on the arm bushings, we just had ours done on the explorer and now that you mentioned it that was what was thumping under their on that truck.

hey mike, do you hear any rhythmic squeaking noises at all when your in motion? or vibrations when driving?

Mike1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No don't hear squeaking or anything like that.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I remember now having a radius arm bushing replaced on my first Ranger...there was side to side slop (or up and down) that was causing a clunk...that I thought was drive shaft or a passenger under the floorboards...

Was not expensive but took a few hours...mostly waiting for parts...but it took away the noise...

Mike1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How come the rear axle doesn't have a radius arm? Just wondering.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals