• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 originally 4.0 auto now 302 carbureted

painterdude923

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I really should have investigated more before starting my project, i have a spaghetti mess of wires and plugs that won't be connected to anything.I'm wondering what does the computer actually run besides engine and trans? I would like to simplify things as much as possible. I can't even get the starter to engage with the key. I guess things don't like being disconnected.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In 1997 the EEC-V, 104pin computer, runs Fuel injection and Spark, spark module in inside computer, it doesn't run dash instruments or starter motor functions.
But it does interface with GEM(generic electronic module) which runs the interior electrics, wipers, lights, windows.
GEM is somewhat self contained not sure it needs computer hook up

You would need a carb and a vacuum advance distributor, with spark module and coil, to get rid of computer as far as engine wiring goes.
Duraspark distributor with HEI module is a good combo, and just needs 1 Key ON power wire, so very very simple hook up.

Computer also ran the 4R55E transmission, which transmission are you using now?

Automatics have an NSS(neutral safety switch) at the trans shift linkage, 5 or 6 wires, it pass the starter motor activation voltage from the ignition switch to the starter motor relay.
You will have to bypass the NSS for starter motor activation, just splice the correct wires together, this switch also activates reverse lights, they need to be hooked up to new trans reverse light switch.
Wiring colors for these changes are on the internet, NSS bypass for your year.

1997 used electronic speedometer, signal came from VSS(vehicle speed sensor) mounted in the speedometer cable hole in trans, uses a gear just like a speedo cable, a gear which you can change to get correct speed.
GEM could also be part of that speed system

Engine wiring just needs
temp sender, 1 wire
oil pressure sender, 1 wire
ignition power, 1 wire

Tach signal in 1997 comes from the computer, so not sure this can be changed just with wiring, Dakota Digital makes modules for speedometer and tach conversions
See them here: http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=287/mode=cat/cat287.htm

Alternator wiring is a separate thing, no computer control and would need to be wired into existing system based on the kind of alternator it is.
Dash Volt meter is not part of the charging system it just reads voltage in the system.
Battery light circuit is part of the charging system, it turns alternator ON/OFF.

painterdude923

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yes i have a nice 1 wire HEI distributor, edelbrock intake and carb, AOD with vss from original trans installed, so well on my way. Do need to figure out this NSS cause I'm ready to start it up and break in my cam!

painterdude923

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm wondering how i can hookup my 97 to the AOD neutral and backup lights switch. I really want to be able to get in the truck, turn the key, start it up and be able to put in reverse and the backup lights also come on. I know it can be done, I'm just not good with wiring

jmcleek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I"m know more about the older cars and truck than the newer ones. Have you tryed Helms publications to see if you can get a electrical book on your truck? They make the dealer shop manals for most U.S. cars and truck from the 50s to present.
The only thing I can think of trying is to finding the ignition switch and testing the wires tell you find the one that is hot in start only , and splice into it then get the trany harnes from something with the same trany and go from there. You can do the same for backup lights but that only needs to be hot with ignition on. make sure you fuse it all.

84FreakRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm wondering how i can hookup my 97 to the AOD neutral and backup lights switch. I really want to be able to get in the truck, turn the key, start it up and be able to put in reverse and the backup lights also come on. I know it can be done, I'm just not good with wiring
The fastest and easiest way to do this is to put a push button start in your dash to your solenoid you will still have to use your key, just turn the key on the on position and push the button.
The reverse lights on my truck I got put them on a toggle switch, I trace the wire to where they were near the transmission and splice them and put it on the switch
Wiring is a headache takes hours or days to trace problems sometimes. Some shops charge $100/hr for wiring problems

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On current NSS wiring you will have
No voltage on any wire with key off
1 wire that will have 12volts with key on, that is the power for the Reverse Lights

1 wire that will have 12volts when key is turned to START, that's the voltage that needs to go to the Starter Relay's "S" post

You need to test for those 2 wires and label them, Reverse Power, and Starter Power.

With trans in Park, wheels blocked
Turn on the key
Jumper the Reverse Power wire to one of the other unlabelled wires, either the Reverse lights will come on, or the starter motor will activate.
Label that wire, Out to Light, or out to Starter.
Test next wire and label it.

Get or use AOD NSS and wire accordingly, read here: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110737

Just a heads up.
Some ignition switches will cut power to other electrics when key is turned to START, to give starter motor all available amps.
This was also to by-pass a Coils ballast resistor, or resistor wire on older systems.
In these models there would be a wire on the NSS that would run to the Spark system module.
When key is turned to START the 12volts would pass thru NSS and go to TWO places, the starter relay of course, and the spark system so it still would have voltage while key is in START.

Easiest way to see if you need this wire is to have volt meter hooked to the HEI power wire, turn on key and you will see the 12volts, then turn key to START, if 12volts is still there then you won't need that wire

Last edited:

painterdude923

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I installed a b&m quicksilver floor shift and turbo coupe bucket seats. I forgot about the micro switches for neutral safety and backup lights. Going put those to good use! Just need to get the wires right. ;-)

tsi617

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The b&m shifter has 2 switches. Don't be like some and only use one. They are pretty easy. The system is looking for a down and back power feed to close when in neutral or park and give a relay it's trigger leg.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals