• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 v8 carbureted with AOD starter wiring?

painterdude923

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I finally got everything buttoned up and ready to turn the key. Wanted to break my cam in and check for any noises. When i turn the key the fuel pump starts working, then turn all the way to start and nothing. I have a high torque mini starter, ran a new 2 gauge wire from battery positive to starter, smaller gauge wire to the original 4.0 solenoid, then to the starter. I never disconnected the original wires coming from truck wiring to the solenoid so i figured it would be ok. but i wasn't! It's been a long time since doing a ranger v8 swap. Like 25 years! But that one was easier. Was already carbureted and was pretty easy and i was a teenager :icon_hornsup: any help on this would be great!

84FreakRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have you test to see if you are getting power to the solenoid? I have a mini starter too. Ok you have both battery and starter cables on one post on the solenoid and the mini wire on the other post and of course the ignition switch on the on small ignition post on the solenoid. Take off the ignition wire put a test light in it then turn the key to start to see if you have power to the solenoid. If you have power to the solenoid, it may be a bad solenoid, but if you don't have power to solenoid from the ignition switch wire then you may have a bad ignition switch or wire to the solenoid from the switch

jmcleek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
was the truck a auto or stick to start with? If stick what did you do with the clutch interlock swich ?

painterdude923

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm going to check soon. I have to connect from battery positive to solenoid. I have it going straight to the starter. Then I'll try

painterdude923

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Truck was 4.0 automatic

84FreakRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going to check soon. I have to connect from battery positive to solenoid. I have it going straight to the starter. Then I'll try

both battery and starter cables on one post and on the other post is the other wire from the starter, On my I used a white 12ga wire, the red wire with the push on connector is the truck ignition switch wire

Last edited:

84FreakRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ah there is your problem you have the battery cable straight to the starter. You should have a solenoid on your fenderwell which is wired to the truck ignition switch, if you have nothing from that to the starter then it wouldn't do anything but turn everything on but the starter. Should be an easy fix now

jmcleek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Did you plug the neutral safty /backup switch in on the trainy? If so check for power on the small red wire with blue strip on the solinoid on the finder well. On the bottom all you need is the big wire from the top solinoid and jump the lower solinoid to it.

jmcleek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic

both battery and starter cables on one post and on the other post is the other wire from the starter, On my I used a white 12ga wire, the red wire with the push on connector is the truck ignition switch wire
Yes get that hooked up right and it may work.

painterdude923

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have not connected anything to the trans other than the speedo sensor. I do have positive cable to starter, smaller gauge from battery to solenoid then 12gauge to starter with everything hooked up like it was with the 4.0. I have power to solenoid just nothing when i turn the key.

84FreakRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have not connected anything to the trans other than the speedo sensor. I do have positive cable to starter, smaller gauge from battery to solenoid then 12gauge to starter with everything hooked up like it was with the 4.0. I have power to solenoid just nothing when i turn the key.
ok then bad solenoid. take the 12ga and touch the battery cable to see if it starts, this is bypassing the solenoid. if it does starts then the solenoid is bad

jmcleek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
If the neutrol safty switch is not pluged in the red/ blue strip wire that come from it and goes to the relay is not going to have 12 volts

painterdude923

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
How do i bypass the neutral safety switch? What are my options?

painterdude923

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I installed a new solenoid, jumper wire past the pinkto the red/light blue in neutral safety switch plug,and still nothing. If i jump both terminals on new solenoid it turns over. But nothing with the key! Any ideas?

84FreakRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I installed a new solenoid, jumper wire past the pinkto the red/light blue in neutral safety switch plug,and still nothing. If i jump both terminals on new solenoid it turns over. But nothing with the key! Any ideas?
if you are getting power to the solenoid when you turn the key to the start position then it should start. I hate neutral safety switch I take them out. You could put a push button start in your truck. Run the 12ga wire from the starter to a switch and then wire to battery terminal

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals