• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bucket of Junk - Please HELP!

AcezUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok guys, I've been lurking in these forums for a few days and haven't been able to find the answer to either of my problems (They're probably too obvious and simple).

Here are the issues I need help with:
1)When I tried to engage the 4x4, all I got was a clicking noise behind the drivers seat. Didn't engage. Checked the xfer case, and there's what looks to be a vacuum line that is blocked off w/ a screw coming out of the front. There is also a line coming from almost directly above it, out of the passenger cab (so it seems) that isn't connected. Are these two related and could they be the culprit?
2) My oil pressure sending unit doesn't seem to be connected. There is a 2 pronged plug that has no wire. Does anyone know the color of the wire it's SUPPOSED to connect to? Does it connect in the engine bay, or in the cab?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. And if i've broken any rules, I apologize in advance.

Last edited:

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
What year and make is your truck? im guessing that you have the electric transfer case, and i have read that the little electric motor that engages them tend to go out. as for the color of the wires for the oil pressure sending unit i dont know

AcezUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ahh yeah my apologies. I edited the post and deleted the year info out.

It's an 89 XLT. Is there a way I can test the motor out and find out if it's bad, or if it's a vacuum problem, or if it's an electrical issue?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, it's not a vac problem since there are absolutely no vac operated components on your 4x4 system. The hose you referenced is a vent line. It keeps pressure from building up inside the case as the fluid heats and prevents cavitation from lowering the fluids lubricating ability if the case is overfilled.

Your clicking is a relay in your 4x4 shift module. I can't remember the fix, but it's a pretty common issue and a simple fix. I think it has something to do with cleaning contacts.

AcezUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Really? I was under the impression the 1350 was vac operated. Good to know. That's why i love this forum. So i'm assuming that the vent line should NOT be blocked? So is there a quick way to test the shift motor? Also, does anyone have any clue as to what that vacuum line that runs out of the cab goes to? When i got the vehicle it was like that so i've got no clue what it goes to.

1989Bii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
its the motor, mine did the same thing.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Really? I was under the impression the 1350 was vac operated. Good to know. That's why i love this forum. So i'm assuming that the vent line should NOT be blocked? So is there a quick way to test the shift motor? Also, does anyone have any clue as to what that vacuum line that runs out of the cab goes to? When i got the vehicle it was like that so i've got no clue what it goes to.
The only vac operated 4x4 components Ford has ever used were some 4x4 hubs on late model vehicles.

The vent line is supposed to be plugged to prevent water from getting in, but it's plugged with a push pin, not a bolt, from the factory. As for the other line, don't worry about it. It's probably a drain of some sort, but its not related to any of your problems, so ignore it.

AcezUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the input guys. I'll check it out and try cleaning the contacts on that relay. If that doesn't fix it, I'll swap out the shift motor. Hopefully that'll solve my problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals