• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998 AWD Ford Explorer

shovelmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had that same system in my 95, was a very good vehicle, absolutely no hassles with the drivetrain. I am pretty sure that transfer has a chain in it, I'm wondering if it has stretched just enough to slap around and make the noise.

Richard Gregersen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
:yahoo:Fluids are full! I was wondering if there should be a 4x4 light on the dash when in 4x4, because this truck has no light come on when in 4x4??? Also if there is to be a light on the dash, and it's out ( Hoping a fuse ). What does that fuse control???:icon_cheers: Like thes guys I could use a shot of Jack LOL.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Light should be on when engaged... Fuse maybe, maybe it's not engaging. Your sure front drive shaft moves when your truck moves? Would be good if you haven't check to lay by truck and engage 4x4, have someone move it a couple feet and see if driveshaft spins when truck moves.

Richard Gregersen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'll try that on Wed. Thanks

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
The driveshaft will turn, its a live axle.

Like bilzy7 suggested double check the fuse. Not sure on the explorers, but, if I remember correctly, the fuse for 4x4 on my Ranger controls only that (would have to double check though).

Edit:
Found your other posting:
:icon_rofl:I went out tonight and put the truck in N, and guess what the 4x4H & 4x4L light came on and I heard it clunk into 4x4 :icon_hornsup:( thats what happens when you get the information from the Wife ).
Did you drive it around to listen to the noise too?

Last edited:

Richard Gregersen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
No, I'm takeing it out today, see how it works. Fingers, are crossed.

Richard Gregersen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
:yahoo::icon_confused:Well I took it out today, and after driving like 30 miles in town it made the noise. I went over to my friends house, and we took it out for a drive. Like 20 or 30 miles again and again it made the noise (thank god I think he thought I was nuts). He said it sound like an electric motor??? Does anyone have any idea what the heck I should look at??? 4x4 works great. Again this thing only does this when letting off the gas, and the sound decrease as the truck slows. If you push down on the gas the sound goes away, and then you can hear & feel a clunk between the front seats.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals