• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco Fuel

ENixB2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V-6
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 86 Bronco II V6 fuel injected and I was wanting to replace the fuel lines but then I heard that fuel injected cars need to have high pressure fuel lines. Ive never heard of high pressure fuel lines so Im not sure if the guy was making stuff up or if I really need high pressure lines and how much it is and where I can get the stuff.

Thanks Erik

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The regular stuff will work just fine, it's only 65 pounds as an absolute maximum. you get higher pressures in your household plumbing.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The regular stuff will work just fine, it's only 65 pounds as an absolute maximum.
Nix that. You do need FI specific line. You can't use the stuff that you would use on a carbed system. Carbed fuel pressures are about 5 to 15 PSI AFTER the pump. FI systems can produce up to 75 PSI through the whole system.

You don't have to have all hard lines, but I would recommend it if you can find it, but if you go to the parts store there IS a difference between regular fuel lines and injection rated lines. In PA if I see a fuel line that is printed with "Not for FI" on it on an injection system I can fail it for saftey inspection.

you get higher pressures in your household plumbing.
The stuff running through your household pipes isn't flamable enough to be used as an automotive fuel.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You are OK with low pressure line from the tank to your high pressure pump. From there, you need and should have high pressure line to the fuel rail. The return doesn't matter, and can be either because it just dumps back into the tank and is not pressurized at all.

I would not run low pressure hose after the pump on the frame for safety reasons, ie IF it ruptures you will have a LOT of fuel spraying everywhere, like on your exhaust, engine, and possibly YOU when you get out of a burning truck.

sjr53

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The fuel lines are nylon, so rust is not an issue. I see no reason to replace the lines. I just replaced the tank fuel pump and had damaged connectors from rust on the metal lines coming out of the tank. Dorman makes replacement ends, usually with 18" of attached nylon fuel line and a coupler that requires warming up the nylon to manage to make the splice. Molding the sharp curves in the line is a problem I need to resolve. The pressure line is 3/8" and the return line is 5/16" using hairpin connectors except at the fuel rail where spring locking connectors are used. I couldn't find a fuel filter anywhere on my '86 but have replaced the filter on my '88. My accumulator doesn't want to open up and I'm not going to force it open to look for a filter in there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals