• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rought at start up but only for a few a couple minutes

matt2003

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
When sitting for 5hrs or more my 3.0 liter fires up with a normal idle until the rpm drops to 700 where it shakes and sometimes sets a 306 and 316 code.The shitty idle only lasts a minute or two then it runs normal
-tach stays rock steady
-no loss of power once the idle comes back to normal
-no hesitation when at operating temp
-still seems a little rough warm but not sure if its just the normal shitty 3.0 idle
Replaced
-plugs
-wires
-coil
-pcv
-some bad vac lines

-Compression is good
-vacuum is good
-injector for #6 is getting the command to fire and sounds good woth the ultra sonic but have yet to bench test it or swap to theoutside fuel rail for 3,2,1 where i can get to it easier.The have pulled the plug over night to see if its a leaking injector and got the same issue in the morning.Plug looks normal.
- fuel pressure is good

I have had everything double checked by a very reputable shop who is also at a loss .Now hes sending me to some wizard that works in ford vehicles that the dealers cant fix.
I have worked and still work maintaining diesel trucks for 20yrs and i cant find the issue.I have bore scoped the SOB and all looks good. I swear the ultra sonic is picking up a vacuum leak in the bay but i lose it in the injector noise.The smoke machine finds nothing and the water test seems good to.The motor also sounds good on a clear flood start and the fuel trim seems fine .Putting it on the Veris yields nothing interesting.The issue seems ambient temp sensitive to a degree.This does not appear to be valve rescission
Any ideas would be appreciated thanks

Last edited:

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would check the CMP & the crank shaft position sensors, along with a good check on the wiring, they both can have issue and be related to this code, Also the cam driven gear on the CMP can wear and cause a ton of problems. another thing to check is the temp sensor for the PCM, sometimes they are off on initial temp and cause problems as well. Also clean the MAF

JP02XLT

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I would change the ECT(engine coolant temp) sensor, the two wire sensor, not the 1 wire sender.

Failing ECT sensor won't set a code unless it doesn't heat up, if ECT is telling computer engine is at 150degF, when it is really at 75degF then computer will run engine leaner than it should, causing rough running and misfires.
Then as engine heats up closer to 150degF it will run better, and if ECT heats up now to 195degF then computer thinks all is well with ECT.

matt2003

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
OK great.Will definatley be checking these leads out in the next couple days.Thanks for the replies.

matt2003

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I found a three pin connector tucked under the anti lock brake modual but it seems to go nowhere.My truck is a 2 wheel drive...........is that connector just not used as in the harness is for multiple options trims

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, one wiring harness with options.
Manual trans
Automatic

4WABS
Rear ABS

Cruise
AC
Fog lights

matt2003

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well this was the third shop and the guy at the second shop told me to go see he had it two days only because hes a perfectionist and went through the entire motor cleaning and dialing in all the sensors until he was happy with all the data from the Varus .He seemed to know right away what the main issue was and said its a long standing problem with the design and that everyone misses.Its the first thing that needs to be looked at on these motors and must be maintained. The manifold shakes the connections to the injector modal that sits on top of it and every time he looks he finds an issue.They even cleaned the engine bay and its spotless.It seems to runs perfect.I not kidding you can barley feel it idle the only real clue is a shake from the shiftier.No more puffing and super smooth.He wants it back to scope it again next week just to see if anything changes.Had some sweet cars in the shop wall to wall exotics.Mustangs,a GTO Judge,a new Porsche 911.My Ranger was in the back like he was trying to hide it.

Dan R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Injector details

Would you give us more details on this injector modal issue?
Is it chafed wiring?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Reads like they changed the muffler bearing as well :)

No such thing as an injector module on a Ranger.

I am sure he did a good job because you are happy with the results.
Thanks for posting the fix results, maybe you misunderstood what he said the problem was

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I'd like a clearer understanding as well as I have an 03 with a (very) slightly loopy idle. I've had my fuel rail off for injector service and the injector wiring clips tight. Don't understand what you mean??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals