• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 Engine swap with problems, need help

ranger_lover

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
so I just had to swap a 3.0 with same for 99 ranger from a salvage yard and everything started up good but I am not having problems. first I discovered that it likes to overheat when idling. simple enough, looks like a clutch fan to replace. then I had to tighten up some exhaust Y pipe bolts cause I forgot I was trying to pull old engine with Y pipe and forgot to retighten so I did that and it was running great.

while under the engine I looked up and coolant leaking all over ground, so shut off truck and checked codes. P0171, P0401, P1402.

now looking like a bad DPFE (P1401) and to revise earlier while driving front tires would shake like it needs an alignment but it has just recently, before pull, been done.

also noticed coolant is turning rusty looking in reservoir, and that brings me to my real question. could this be bad water pump along with DPFE and clutch fan? I am looking for any assistance on this to track down the problem, and also wanted to state thermostat is brand new, just installed with newer salvage engine. BUT, coolant is the only issue I can see so far (minus the DPFE) with the engine so I don't think I need to worry about pulling it to take it back.

thank you for any help

ranger_lover

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
update: even though radiator cap was new I took it off and compared it with my old one and it was an 1/8th or more shorter so it was not sealing well. going to the parts store now cause I need flange gaskets for the Y pipe to manifold to take care of exhaust leaks...ok, so I feel kind of dumb even though the ford oem repair manual I found did NOT list them as a part needed. also coolant seems to stay down as long as I drive, so I am labeling this problem clutch fan. the off size cap fix will correct the leak. things are starting to look up

monstermazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
3.0l has a bad problem with cracking heads also check water pump any time I do stuff with the coolant besides a flush I replace the water pump

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals