• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gates Hose Part Number Warning

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've spent two days trying to get Gates and RockAuto to make right an error in their upper rad hose part number.

I ordered an upper and lower rad hose for the truck in my sig, 2003 Ranger 3.0L XL. The upper hose was the wrong hose and would not fit. Double checking the part number from RockAuto and the Gates web site gave me the same part number I ordered and been shipped.

I called Gates and explained the problem, so he had me check the part number with a 2004 Ranger. That part number's picture, and a confirmation at NAPA, showed the 2004 part was correct for my 2003. Even NAPA spec's out the wrong part for a 2003 as they are relying on Gates.

The Gates upper rad hose wrong part number is 22144, the correct part number is 23272.

I'm not sure if this applies to all 2003 Rangers as Gates came up with the reference to the 2004 pretty quickly, so I think they may have had this problem before.

The Ford part number is F87Z-8260-AA. The part's picture for that part number is so generic I cannot tell if that is a correct part number.

RockAuto is saying it's my fault and will not pay for return shipping - they're being real pricks about this and not showing any customer service skills.

Check the parts picture closely, or better, go to a parts store with the old part to confirm it's correct.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I ordered an upper and lower rad hose for the truck in my sig, 2003 Ranger 3.0L XL. The upper hose was the wrong hose and would not fit....
I did the same-

RockAuto is saying it's my fault and will not pay for return shipping - they're being real pricks about this and not showing any customer service skills.
I requested the same too, no refund. Thanks for clearing this up-

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I requested the same too, no refund. Thanks for clearing this up-
There's comfort in company at least.

I hope more people chime in here. I'm still waiting for a response from Gates to my last email in which they requested my VIN.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I looked up the Dayco part number. They also list the wrong hose for the 2003.

Dayco Wrong # 72190 (2003)
Dayco Correct # 72258 (2004)

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This has been resolved for me at least. Gates ordered the OEM hose to confirm fitment. The 23272 part number is correct. But here's the caveat, it seems Ford changed to this part number late 2002 to early 2003. Anyone with a 2002 or 2003 should look closely at the part picture or better, confirm at the parts store with the actual part. This also goes for other aftermarket hose suppiers.

Gates is going to change their listings, but that may take a while to filter through the system.

I got Gates to send me the correct hose at no charge - including shipping, so I'm not out any extra money.

I expected better treatment from RockAuto, so from here on out I'm going to research the manufacturers web sites for part numbers then cruise for price from different sources other than RockAuto, whereas before I would just order from them with no questions.

txgocartB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Some companies still believe in customer service.

Others believe in the all mighty dollar.

Ray

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I went through this today trying to find an upper hose for my 02, Dayco E72190, wrong hose, Went back to Advance Auto, with the correct number in my hand, and it was not in their system or anything he could find, after about 30 minutes looking he added the E to the original Dayco number and the part came up in his system. Seems like this wrong item / fitment made it into many databases for parts.

Rearanger, thanks for posting this otherwise I still may be looking for a hose.

JP02XLT

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It will take a while to get this resolved as Gates may be the only aftermarket supplier to know about it (thanks to me).

Anyone finding the part number gives the wrong hose will need to go to the 2004 Ranger to get the correct part number or direct to the Gates web site. I'm not sure how long it will take for NAPA for instance to convert their part numbers to the correct Gates match.

Because this is a mid year Ford change your VIN will be necessary.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals