• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Radiator upgrade

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
I want to upgrade to a larger radiator in my 88 Bronco2 W/manual transmision.if I install a 2 core radiator from the stock 1 core, does it change the air draw through the fan shroud and what radiator should I use?

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just get a radiator and shroud from an Explorer.

The Mud Addict

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 D-S
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6in
Tire Size
35x12.5x15 Pitbull rockers
Pre '94 Exploder:icon_thumby:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pre '94 Exploder:icon_thumby:
Pre '95, 91-94 is the same. Has to be from one with A/C and an automatic transmission otherwise it will be the same as what is already there.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did this upgrade myself. I have an 87 BII (2.9, M5OD) that was originally automatic, and used a new radiator for a 94 Exlporer. It was an easy swap. Under normal driving conditions, it cools too much. I have to block off over half of it.
Even with 100+ degree weather for over 50 days, the only time my engine got up to normal temp. was when I took a 3.5 hour road trip at 65 miles an hour, in 105 deg. weather. Now that the temp outside is between 35 deg, to 70 deg., it never gets above 180 degrees, verified with a thermometer.
I noticed my mileage went down, I believe because the engine is running cooler and the computer is running the fuel richer. I read theories that this would produce more power, but I didn't notice any real difference.

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
I did this upgrade myself. I have an 87 BII (2.9, M5OD) that was originally automatic, and used a new radiator for a 94 Exlporer. It was an easy swap. Under normal driving conditions, it cools too much. I have to block off over half of it.
Even with 100+ degree weather for over 50 days, the only time my engine got up to normal temp. was when I took a 3.5 hour road trip at 65 miles an hour, in 105 deg. weather. Now that the temp outside is between 35 deg, to 70 deg., it never gets above 180 degrees, verified with a thermometer.
I noticed my mileage went down, I believe because the engine is running cooler and the computer is running the fuel richer. I read theories that this would produce more power, but I didn't notice any real difference.
Thanks for great real time info ,that's was my other queston is over cooling.I have the stock T-stat 192 degs in there and I want stay with that.I am planning to pull a 1000 LBS travel trailer.

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Thanks to everyone for the good info

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have heard that too with stock V6's, it works great for my 302 though :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals