• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 Engine Swap

Rangerdanger24

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am looking into swapping my V6 3.0L for a 5.0, in my 97 ranger XLT. It is a regular cab and doesn't weigh anything. What my only concern is, is if the 5.0L is too much power for my light truck.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am looking into swapping my V6 3.0L for a 5.0, in my 97 ranger XLT. It is a regular cab and doesn't weigh anything. What my only concern is, is if the 5.0L is too much power for my light truck.
Possibly a valid concern -- my solution was a Explorer LSD rear diff and raised the ratio from the stock 3.73:1 to 3.27:1.

The LSD keeps both rear tires grabbing traction and the 3.27:1 ratio helps take some of the snap out of the initial acceleration.

You could go even higher with the ratio, 3.08:1 or even as high as 2.73:1 if you really wanted to tame the power.

The Explorer diff is not "plug and play" but is well worth the effort.

I'd also suggest adding a rear sway bar if you don't already have one. The old Bronco II ones are commonly available used, as are a couple new options.

Lastly, don't build a Mustang SVT killer 5.0. Keep the engine sane! A box stock Explorer 302 is good for about 210 hp, already a huge jump from the original 3.0.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals