• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Third brake light in way of camper shell

TechmanDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Howdy. I've got a 2002 Ranger XLT Extended cab and I got myself an aluminum camper shell at a steal today.
My issue is my third brake light; it sticks out too far from the cab. I need to do some work on it anyway to attach the third brake light in the camper shell, but I need ideas for making it shorter, so it doesn't stick out so far.
I'm not looking to spend $100+ on a fancy new third brake light because I won't use it. I'll keep the one I have and put it back if needed when I take the top off though.

Ideas?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
"Adjust" the cap with a hammer, so it will clear the light. Its only aluminum. :D

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

TechmanDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Really? Come on... there's GOT to be brighter ideas than that...

ashleyroachclip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 Ranger STX
Make / Model
1995 Explorer L
Transmission
Manual
I would use a socket off a similar light and lexan to build a light .

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Really? Come on... there's GOT to be brighter ideas than that...
Sorry, I thought you were looking for the cheap way to do it.
I got myself an aluminum camper shell at a steal today.
I'm not looking to spend $100+
Lots of projects to do, little $$ to do them with.

Idea #1: (I'm assuming you want to be able to reinstall the light if you remove the cap)
Remove the light, push the wires back into the hole. Cut a piece of sheet metal to the size of the brakelight. Curve it on a slip roller to the same curve as the body. Paint it, install with silicone and screws (in the original holes.)

Idea #2:
Cut the offending section out of the cap. Form a new piece the right shape to clear the brakelight. Tig weld it into place. Paint it. That's a brighter idea, if you own a Tig welder.

And with the right tools and talent, my idea of "adjusting" it with a hammer will look like it came from the manufacturer that way.

Last edited:

DriverSideImpact

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Idea #1: (I'm assuming you want to be able to reinstall the light if you remove the cap)
Remove the light, push the wires back into the hole. Cut a piece of sheet metal to the size of the brakelight. Curve it on a slip roller to the same curve as the body. Paint it, install with silicone and screws (in the original holes.)

This was my first thought too.
In addition to that, you could drill a small hole in that sheet metal, run extended wires through it (seal with a small rubber grommet), and run that back to the 3rd brake light on the cap.
You could use some nice crimp-on male and female plugs on the extended wire and 3rd brake lights. That way when/if you take the cap off you can just unplug it and plug it back in on the cab.
You might even be able to figure a way to reuse the stock 3rd brake light on the cap. The you don't even have to buy a new light.

TechmanDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
haha, thanks guys.
The camper came with a 3rd brake light, which i'll use. I'm mulling over how to modify the existing third brake light on the cab so it's still usable, but out of my way.
the cap is old so I don't want to mess with it and cause any major issues, and it's really cold outside so I don't feel like working out there for long.
it's a piece of a bigger project, and i'm still working on getting it all together.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
haha, thanks guys.
The camper came with a 3rd brake light, which i'll use. I'm mulling over how to modify the existing third brake light on the cab so it's still usable, but out of my way.
the cap is old so I don't want to mess with it and cause any major issues, and it's really cold outside so I don't feel like working out there for long.
it's a piece of a bigger project, and i'm still working on getting it all together.
TAKE OUT YOUR BED LINER, LOSEN THE BED BOLTS AND PULL IT BACK A HALD INCH OR SO SO THE BED SITS FURTHER AWAY FROM THE BODY. THEN TIGHTEN THE BOLTS AND BE DONE!

JUST DID THE SAME THINGS ON MY FRIENDS TRUCK. JUST TAKE YOUR TIME ALIGNING THE BODY UP SO IT LOOKS STRAIGHT. :icon_thumby:

TechmanDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yet another thread I failed to reply to, sorry about that!
I ended up modifying the camper shell slightly to fit, and shortly after the camper shell ended up on my Dad's '99 ranger, and my bed cover went back on. I checked with my Dad, and the shell is still working well!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals