• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

95 5.0 expo-ranger build thread

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
But if I take the heads off and oil pan couldn't I use it just to test fit my motor mounts? I much rather find a 302 but having a hard time doing so. I have a guy I'm supposed to call back tonight that's gonna try to locate me one today so fingers are crossed!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
From the motor mount bosses down is the same, mounts up the block is taller and wider. You will want the heads and valve covers on for motor placement to firewall...

SVT

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That makes sense.... I'll keep looking for a 302 then! Thanks!

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Got my tri-y headers today! $150 off eBay. [emoji106] Oil pan is gonna be here next Monday looks like.

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
RangerSVT I read in a post somewhere that you had to make ac lines for your ranger. Would the explorer ac lines not work?

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The explorer ac line needs to be used, but the condenser hookup is different, needing the correct fitting installed on the line...

SVT

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Stainless believe it or not!

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Small update guys. I cut my windshield out last night since it was cracked and I rather the cab be painted with it out. Also I took my heater/ac box apart and man was it caked with junk so I got that all cleaned up and put back together and mounted that up to my firewall. Hoping it isn't in the way of me marking and figuring out my motor mounts. Saturday is the big day! I'm wanting to get this project under way!

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Welp.... Tomorrow is the big day! I took my hood off tonight and started removing the headlights and signals. Nothing major cause I didn't get in until really late. Anywho, I'm hoping to get the motor and Tranny out and possibly stripped down and do a test fit and work on my mounts tomorrow. Not sure how fast this will go but I'm anxious and excited so I should move along at a pretty good pace! I'll post pics of the progress tomorrow guys!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Oh BTW I recorded some acceleration videos yesterday of the expo to get a comparison after the swap. I'll try to edit and upload them to YouTube when I'm done.

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Pretty happy with the progress today even though we ran into some problems. Got the 5.0 out of the expo, split the tranny and engine after we got it out, removed the clutch fan, manifolds, torque converter, and ac/ac bracket and swapped the oil pan and got my engine mounts figured out!!! Engine is sitting in the truck right now but it's coming back out for headers and I gotta buy an oil pan bolt kit which has shorter bolts cause the aluminum pan in the expo used long bolts cause it was so thick. Now for the pics!
The engine removal

How she sits now

The problem I ran into was my engine sat to high using the stock 4.0 motor mount locations??? I had already cut and slotted my 5.0 engine mount brackets so I thought I was screwed but thankfully the passenger side had enough room left that I was able to drill another hole for my engine mount to sit lower in the cross member. SVT said the driver side needed raised about 1.25" to sit level and in stock locations that was correct but by me drilling and lowering the passenger side it now sits perfectly level and low enough that I don't have any hood clearance issues now.
My passenger side engine mount in the stock location used the top two holes. The top right for the bolt and the top left for the alignment pin. I drilled and used the 2nd hole down on the right side and used the existing 2nd hole down on the left side for my alignment pin.

So I'm gonna try to get some more stuff together and tackle it hard next Saturday. Prob gonna pick up a new oil pump and throw in it while I got it out.
Also the ford racing oil pan swap kit did not come with a gasket for the pickup tube where it mounts to the oil pump so I gotta get one of those.

Last edited:

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Question for SVT or anybody else running a tranny cooler. What size cooler would need to be used to keep this 4R70W cool? The expo has a front tranny cooler that cools the tranny fluid along with the radiator...??? Maybe the rad warms it up when cold??? Anyway it's about 10x10? Not sure if that's big enough or not but it sure would be easy to use it but I wanna make sure to keep my tranny cool most importantly. Any info would be great! Thanks guys!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
For SVT I used a junkyard find, it was an aftermarket cooler with stainless steel flex lines from the trans all the way to the cooler, that one doesn't go through the radiator. Stock explorers go through the radiator and the external cooler, which since you have it from the donor, I'd run that. On the sport trac swap I ran the radiator and 2 stock secondary coolers along with an external filter, only cause I knew I'd be towing heavy loads with it...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals