• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 ranger, 4.0l, 4R-55E radiator aneurysm

huh?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
i just lost my original post that i've been working on for two hours or so. to make a long posting short and blah, blah, blah free:

failure in radiator allowing water intrusion into transmission. previous to finding this out, i was informed and confirmed that no forward gear selection provided any drive. reverse clunks into gear, although not too harshly, and moves vehicle in correct direction. backward that is.

i'd like to repair it my self but time is a major factor(money, too):

1) can the trans be flushed, change filter, new fluid, cross fingers and maybe get lucky(one extreme)? or;

2) am i looking at a complete tear down with everything being replaced(other extreme)? or;

3) somewhere between these two extremes is where i'll be? or;

4) i should put all my effort/time/money into finding and acquiring a known good used unit and a stand alone cooler?

any and all suggestions/ideas/opinions/hints/ are welcome here. thanks for reading.

1997 ranger

4.0L engine

transmission code T= 4R-55E automatic

2 wheel drive

another thing i'm wondering about: can water in trans cause "no forward/reverse works" condition? or is it possible the water intrusion and forward gear failure together is a coincidence and there's a different cause for the "no forward" situation?

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't have transmission knowledge. So my pick would be #4.

huh?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
10-4, alwaysFlOoReD. after more research last night i came across a post that taught me that the friction material in transmissions are bonded with a water-based adhesive. at first "water-based" sounds weak, but i suppose it makes sense for an application that operates in a supposedly water-free environment.

#4 is what i'll proceed with. if it seems that cleaning and friction plates are all i may need to do(internally), then i'll turn in that direction if i haven't found a trans by that point. and a VB redo.

appreciate the reply, alwaysFlOoReD.

anyone that can provide any more info, suggestions, warnings, please do so.

Last edited:

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Quality used unit is going to be the fastest fix no doubt or rebuild transmissions dont like water neither do torqe converters

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
And i would run a seperate plate style cooler im not a big fan of radiator trans coolers

huh?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
thanks, willy. i'm eyeballing the air conditioners' condensor, but i don't even know yet if the system works.

huh?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
... not a big fan of radiator trans coolers
the person i bought the truck from said he installed the radiator 1.5 years ago, but the radiator looked like it was taken out of its shipping box 1.5 days ago. looking from above so i could see the front of the core, both the front and rear fields of fins were perfect- no impression of anything coming into contact with them.... not even a bug, lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals