• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

steering gear box leaking

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
I have been having some problems with the steering being loose but I was thinking it was the pump.I started the truck to go home yesterday and the pump was whining, because it was empty I washed the pump and gear off at the car wash to find out where the leak was. It was running out of the top of the gear box were the adjustment screw was. I tried to tighten the lock nut up but it just kept turning and turning. I am guessing that it is trashed? If I have to replace it what other ones will fit? I am wondering about one from an f-150 of e-150. If not would it be better to get a junkyard one or a rebuilt one?I am going to replace the pump also just so it is all new. I read in the tech section about the upgrade for the pump,but they do not make them anymore so are the plastic replacements still an upgrade.I do remember reading about a gearbox upgrade but could not find it after searching. I think you had to grind a bit of the frame to get it to fit? Thanks for any help or info.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
F-150 ('80-'96) / F-250 ('80-'97) / F-350 ('80-'97) / Bronco ('80-'96) Ranger ('83-'97) / Explorer ('91-'94) / Bronco II (all) I know all use the same box.

I think E-150 / E-250 / E-350 '80-'97 (or so) may be the same too, but I'm not absolutely sure.

Junkyard unit should be fine if it's good (no excess play in it). Flushing it out and replacing the seals is always a good idea though.

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
Thanks I think there is a f 150 and a van at work maybe I can get one off of one.
Do you think the pumps would still be an upgrade? Just wondering if anyone had an idea what broke?

Last edited:

Patriot1776

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I'm having a similar issue with my steering gearbox though I haven't taken the time to find the leak yet. Good to know I can get one off a bunch of different rigs though. Thanks for bringing this up for discussion. Hope the repairs go well!

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
I took it off and pulled the cover where the screw goes through and there is a ring that is bent at the base of the adjustment bolt. It chewed up the inside of the cover. There are bits of metal and maybe a seal all over. I dont think I really want to mess with trying to fix it and will try to find a replacement. I look at the f-150 and it was the same it just has a ton of rust on the outside and the hoses look almost rusted away.Was thinking it had been sitting for a long time.I'm not sure the hoses would come off without twisting them off. There is a e-150 van and will check it out today. Hopefully it doesn't look to rusted out or damaged.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I have one sitting beside my house from a 96...but it would cost more to ship it than it's worth...freaking things are heavy~

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
Thanks, but I got one from a junk yard wasnt to bad 59. bucks.I got it back on just have to torque everything down, and bleed the system. I had the one from the van at work almost off, but realized something must have been wrong with it. It had plastic wrap around the bottom u joint held on with string, and 3 zip ties.The plastic was stuffed all the way down the shaft seal.I hope it works good after all of that. Thanks for all the ideas, tips and help.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Good price...hope that all works out for you...someone posted a PS bleed method a while ago that was not the usual method...using a bottle and vacuum or something like that...pretty sure there is a youtube video on the process...ah, yes...several...but you sound like you know your way around...here is one of them but there are many if you want to refresh...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egzQYcxaPGU

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
I got it done but was still having problems with some looseness. I was talking to a guy at work and the way I described it sounded like a broken leaf spring. I told him I already checked them and all the spring mounts. I was sure that wasn't the problem. I ask him if he thought the lift blocks would let it do that. He told me to hit the u bolts with a hammer and tighten them down. Worked great, the front end would lift up and the steering would put when I hit the gas and the opposite would happen when I let off the gas, and just driving it was squirrelly.well it solved the problem 100%. I will check them again in a week or so.I will have to check all the lift bracket bolts also. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals