• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

carb to efi swap tank and pump options

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
ok i have a carbed 83 2wd short box ranger im doing a 2.3 turbo swap.
i have a few questions regarding options i have for adding efi, fuel pump and tank wise...

1. can i bolt up a later model 89-92 efi gas tank into my 83 ranger,from what i searched u have to get some other things from the 89 like some crossover brackets,ect,ect,is this true, if so, what all do i need?

2. can i fit a a sending unit from a efi 85-88 ranger in my 83 tank, from what i searched the 83-88 tanks are the same, so i would think this might be a option?
if it is will my stock 83 ranger gas gauge work with a 85-88 sending unit?

3. does the 85 ranger have 2 fuel pumps like a lot of mid 80's fords?

4. would i be better off just fabbing up an in-line pump on the frame and a return line to my stock 83 tank?

5. is there some other better option?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I would go with an 85-88 tank and the twin pump system for simplicity. The 83 and 84 had a smaller sender opening and the pump doesn't fit.

An 85 would have the two pump system, if it had a 2.3. That would have been the only fuel injected engine that year.

The problem using the later high pressure in tank pump is that the fuel level sender is different and will make your gauge read wrong.

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 85-88 tank, sender, and pumps is the way to go.

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
Anyone else, I'm going to start collecting parts soon.

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
I think we figured out that he 88-9? Could be put in the 83 chassis if you move the cross member back. If you're not ready for that kind of commitment, I would use your stock tank, and put a single inline pump on the frame.

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
I think we figured out that he 88-9? Could be put in the 83 chassis if you move the cross member back. If you're not ready for that kind of commitment, I would use your stock tank, and put a single inline pump on the frame.
where can i find more info about this?

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
About the new tank in the old truck? We were looking at it when we had my tank(89) and my dads(83) both out and comparing them. Its something you would just have to try.

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
You can also put the 88-up cross member in your chassis.

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
any pics of this? any pics of what crossmember you are talking about?

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
I don't have any pics, we didn't do the swap in my dads truck yet. The cross member is the one above the tank in the middle. Sorry, I'm nit much more help than that.

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
I don't have any pics, we didn't do the swap in my dads truck yet. The cross member is the one above the tank in the middle. Sorry, I'm nit much more help than that.
ok thanks, if you do get around to it can you take a couple pics?

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
I think im going to go with the 85-88 tank and the twin pump set-up.
Now in the LMC truck catalog they offer 2 tanks for the a 85 2wd shortbed, one with a plastic filler hose and one with a rubber filler hose.
Now you guys stated any 85-88 tank, well LMC also has a tank listed for 86-88 2wd shortbed and only offer one and it has the same part number (50-3012) as the 85 that came with a rubber filler hose.

so my 83 ranger has if i remember correctly a rubber filler hose? i will have to check it out next time i go to where i currently have it sitting , so will my stock 83 rubber filler hose work with the 86-88 and or 85 tank with the rubber filler hose? Also does anyone know if the rubber filler hoses happen to share the same part number,i.e 83 vs 85,86-88?

Last edited:

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have never seen a 1988, and earlier that had a external plastic hose, I think they all have the internal plastic hose for filling, Even my brothers 92 short bed regular cab has the external rubber hose like the earlier ones. Look on ebay for tanks, you can get them for the same price, or a little cheaper along with free shipping. I've never had problems with the tanks I've bought off of ebay, a friend on mine bought his from LMC, and within a year it was all rusty inside.

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
I have never seen a 1988, and earlier that had a external plastic hose, I think they all have the internal plastic hose for filling, Even my brothers 92 short bed regular cab has the external rubber hose like the earlier ones. Look on ebay for tanks, you can get them for the same price, or a little cheaper along with free shipping. I've never had problems with the tanks I've bought off of ebay, a friend on mine bought his from LMC, and within a year it was all rusty inside.
thanks, well with the ebay deal i would,,, but i want to make sure i have the correct tank to make this happen, sometimes ebay does not list this odd little differences, and i dont want to end up with the wrong tank. if i can 100%
verify a year that will work for my situation i will shop around.

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
LMC makes some things more complicated than need be like the plastic, or rubber filler hose. I've never seen any 80's Ford with a plastic filler hose.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals