• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Alignment Specs

Rustbucket350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does anybody have a picture or scan of the alignment specs for a first gen Ranger/Bronco II. Even a book that has them would be helpful. My Haynes manual does not and it turns out I need a reputable source (not internet) for the specs to file a case against a certain corporation.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Photobucket is dead, gone, history, doesn't work (even C&P'ing the link directly it still shows that stupid 100% crap). I guess you must have to be logged in now or something, I really don't feel like f'ing around with PB after the siht they just pulled on the whole internet community. :mad:

I would suggest get a set of factory service manuals for your year truck, the alignment specs are printed in there under Suspension System, General Service (here's a scan of mine but it's for a 2nd-gen (1990), which while technically is exactly the same as yours, might not be from a legal standpoint, I'm not sure).

Those manuals are FAR more useful than just for some alignment info... They will pay for themselves many times over if you do much of your own work on the truck.

Attachments

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Photobucket hotlinks works correctly if you have their browser extension installed.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
back in the good 'ol days a trip to the public library usually yielded service manuals of various types.

hey Suri: WTF is a library?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Photobucket can stick it where the sun don't shine. I'm not installing crap onto my computer just to get around their draconian policy change after what they did to everyone. I think everyone else should do the same.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Photobucket can stick it where the sun don't shine. I'm not installing crap onto my computer just to get around their draconian policy change after what they did to everyone. I think everyone else should do the same.
Lets see. I can be a crotchety MF'er and leave a large portion of my internetting non-functional, and pitch a fit every time their name comes up, or I can download a minor extension for my browser, not pay their $400, AND not have to spend months moving my more than 12000 linked photos and still be able to see them.

That was not a hard choice.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
That's all assuming the fixes continue to work. I understand using the extension to access old content (I use them as well), but why continue to post links to them rather than hosting the images elsewhere?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That's all assuming the fixes continue to work. I understand using the extension to access old content (I use them as well), but why continue to post links to them rather than hosting the images elsewhere?
I will probably find a new site to host my stuff going forward, but my truck build is largely done, my Explorer isn't getting built. The Mustang finds new and interesting ways to piss me off every time I work on it, and the Bronco II is sitting in the yard waiting for me to finish the mustang. Additionally my deadline on the B2 is for when my son gets his license. Driving age in PA is 16, he is 4. I'm not posting tons of photos anywhere right now, so I am not sigining up for a different hosting service, I am waiting to see if other sites follow suit here over the next few months.

That's why I also included the direct link, which should allow viewing the picture at photobucket.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Lets see. I can be a crotchety MF'er and leave a large portion of my internetting non-functional, and pitch a fit every time their name comes up, or I can download a minor extension for my browser, not pay their $400, AND not have to spend months moving my more than 12000 linked photos and still be able to see them.

That was not a hard choice.
It's a matter of principle dude.
As I already said, clicking the link does not work either (if it did, the uproar over this would still be present, but likely would be far less great).

Lets get this thread back on track and allow the OP to respond to the alignment spec answers he's got, OK?

The library suggestion is good too, that is, if he has one that is still open near him... In a number of areas they have been closing up due to lack of funds.

Rustbucket350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The factory service manual specs will do just fine for this. I would like some specs for a lifted truck so I could do it myself but I'm sure if I can't find them I'll be alright. I would go to the library but I've been working 6 days a week and mostly at night so I'd need a 24 hour library.

The issue is that I paid for a lifetime alignment and it turns out they only have the toe specs. The camber was acceptable but the caster was left 4 degrees different from side to side. Oh and I was banned from the store after I had a discrepancy with my service.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The issue is that I paid for a lifetime alignment and it turns out they only have the toe specs. The camber was acceptable but the caster was left 4 degrees different from side to side. Oh and I was banned from the store after I had a discrepancy with my service.
Ugh...

That I can pretty much guarantee you that is due to incompetence. I've seen it myself over & over & over & ov....

Alignment guy hasn't figured how to adjust the camber/caster bushings (or is plain lazy) to know that you more often than not have to swap them out with ones of a different degree to get the caster & camber alignment correct.
I suspect it partly comes from a lack of proper training, so it might not be completely entirely the tech's fault, however someone working in such a field should at least have some sense of reasoning and ability to figure things out, which it sounds like the guy you went to may not be too sharp in that department.

IMO, they should definitely at minimum refund you the money you paid if they cannot figure out how to do it.

Most suspension lift companies suggest using the factory alignment specs, so yeah you're probably fine there.

Edit:
If you're thinking of trying it yourself, this page should give you some guidance. The numbers themselves are not too real critical, mostly you're just trying to get both tires parallel with each other (toe) and perpendicular to the road (camber). Caster controls return-to-center, and whatever setting allows the truck to track straight down a level (not cambered) road is generally fine (caster doesn't affect tire wear).

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2008/steering_tech.htm

Last edited:

Rustbucket350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah... I tried to explain to the manager that I understood this is not your run of the mill suspension and I was fine with not getting a proper alignment as long as I got a refund. He didn't want to hear any of that and insisted I reschedule (I waited 3 hours the first day and was turned away a week later for an appointment I scheduled). He didn't like what I had to say after that. I had every intention of filing small claims but it seems like it's not even worth the effort.

Anyway, I've since bought a Fastrax camber/caster gauage and made some toe plates. I havent had too much time to play with it but I have it pretty much dialed in. I just have to set the toe and see if I need these eccentric radius arm bushings I have for the caster or not based on how it drives.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals