• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Projector/halo headlights & electrical issues

Mattocastter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Re: 1999 4.0, auto, 4x4, extended cab (Canada)

Recently I had a headlight burnt out on my stock headlights. Given the nominal price difference between a new pair of good bulbs, vs. modern looking headlights, I decided just to put in new headlights altogether.

Of the 2(?) aftermarket options out there, I got these http://www.specdtuning.com/lhp-ran98-rs.html off ebay and put them in as per https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e6bOoXGWi4 (except I soldered the halo wires directly into the running light wires rather than use the vampire clips or the connectors as shown in the video/instructions. For the Ranger-specific headlights, everything plugs directly into the factory connection, except for one pair of wires for the ring, which were the ones I soldered in. One other difference from the video is that there is what I assume is some sort of resistor in a small plastic box that those halo ring wires run into and out of). The spec D headlights use H1 bulbs for both the low beam/driving lights (driving lights required in Canada).

Anyways, I got them put in (got matching corner lights too, but those are just plug and play), started er up, everything seemed fine, looked good, took er for a test drive at night, parked it for the night.

Next morning, started it up, everything was normal; let it run for about 10 minutes as I was loading some stuff up, drove it to my uncle's place about 3 miles away, shut it off for a few mins. Came back to hit the road, and it wouldn't even crank over, just sat there making that ticking/grinding noise. We charged it for a bit, started it up, seemed fine; drove across the yard, idled in park for a few mins, and it shuddered/revved weird/a couple lights came on the dash, guage dropped and it died as it was running.... boosted it again and brought it back the 3 miles as the guage dropped the entire time.

I got a new battery and alternator in the meantime (the battery isn't new, wouldn't be surprised if it's toast, had some harsh winters last few years too). Old battery was testing around 12.6 when it was running but the dash guage was very low. I just put the new battery in, let it run and the guage is still very low.. battery is testing around 11.6 as it idles, although so far there's no shuddering or lights coming on. I haven't put the new alternator in yet although I put a rebuilt one in about 25,000 miles ago.

Any thoughts??

Go2fasteddie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Your $15-20 headlight bulb burt out so you installed halo leds. Interesting. My mom and you are quite similar. She went to get an oil change and came back with a new car. Lol. Sorry I can't help with the electrical but ill be interested to see the solution. I've considered halo leds but balked at the price.

Last edited:

Karu89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it would be your alt. if it's not holding a 14-14.5V at idle it would be somewhere from your alt or you leads off of you alt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals