• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 V6 engine into 1996 V6 Ranger

captaingofast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does anybody know if it's practical to swap the block & heads (only) from a 2001 3.0 L Edge to a 1996 3.0 L Splash reg cab and use everything from the 96 engine on the 01 engine (except the heads) to avoid any compatibility issues? In other words, does everything on the 96 engine bolt right on the 01 engine? My motivation for possibly doing this is the engine in the 96 Splash has no compression in cyl 5. I don't know why yet. When I yank it out I'll inspect it to see what's wrong. If it's something like a stuck valve I'll likely just fix it. If it's a camshaft or rod or some other expensive problem I probably won't.

I also have a 96 2WD Explorer donor with a V8 automatic (the 96 Splash is an automatic too) so a V8 swap is definitely a possibility. I also have a new Advance Adapters kit on the shelf and a spare stock EFI 5.0 engine (except for the fresh GT40 heads) that was in a 1990 Mustang I bought new. The car came to an unfortunate end but the engine/5 speed are A1. I have a heated 1800 sq ft shop, everything I need to do engine swaps and I'm retired now so the only issue I see with a V8 conversion is passing an etest here in Ontario. The emissions for the V8 engine have to meet the specs for the V6.

Just to make things even more interesting I also have 1993 Splash reg cab that's good enough to save it from the salvage yard too. It's a 5 speed. Both Splash's have AC/cruise etc.

Thanks guys

captaingofast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wrong forum I guess.. I thought the references to the donor Explorer and swap kit made it as much a V8 post as a V6.

captaingofast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
<insert sound of lone cricket chirping here>

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
3.0 short blocks have small differences between years, but can be considered interchangeable, so your plan to put the newer block/heads into the older truck should work fine. Just make sure that all of the sensors from the 96 get put onto the replacement engine.

captaingofast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the response. I bought a 2000 shortbox reg cab stepside F150 yesterday which takes care of my daily driver issue. I'm retired so it should last me a long time. I'm definitely going with the 96 Explorer V8 into my 96 Ranger now. But the block/heads compatibility info was useful anyway. I have a 93 V6 Splash that could make good use of the long block out of the 01 V6 engine. The 93 is in pretty good shape and worth the effort but it's second in line on my project list so we'll see.

The 96 Splash I'm using for the swap. The topper on the back is no longer there. Not something I want on the truck. Aside from the V8 it looks virtually identical to the Explorer from the firewall forward and both are automatics with AC, cruise etc. I bought it specifically to do a V8 swap.

My 93 Splash and the V8 96 Explorer donor I just bought. The 93 needs an etest to get back on the road again. It has 240,000 miles on it . The original owner had a 140 mile round trip commute to work. The engine is pretty close to being pooched. It needs a bit of bodywork (passenger side cab corner) but the frame and everything else is really good. My son and daughter occasionally borrow my pickup so I might fix up the 93 and let them share it as needed.

5.0 HO engine stashed in my shop. It's a one owner (me). Gonna use the short block + fresh GT40 heads from it with everything else on the Explorer engine now. The engine is from a 1990 Mustang I bought new. I also have the 5 speed transmission, shifter, bell housing, computer and all of the engine accessories, emissions stuff etc.

This is the 96 347 stroker I had previously. It was stupid fast. It was also carb'd and eventually failed an emissions test and I had to let it go to a buyer outside the Ontario etest zone. It was a sharp little truck and I hated to see it go.

The 90 5.0 Ranger I had before the 347. Sold it to a batshit crazy nickel miner from the Thunder Bay area. He flew to a small city near me and I picked him up on a Sunday morning at a sleazy hotel with a strip joint on the first floor. He had a drug related criminal record so he couldn't cross the border to take a shortcut through Michigan and had to take a 1000 mile trip through the wilds of Northern Ontario to get home. He did a smoky burnout as he left my place, which was probably a bad idea given the rigours of the journey ahead of him. He had no tools, no spare, no anything. Not even an extra can of gas. I actually offered him a spare tire but he said nope don't bother. Never heard from him again.

This particular Ranger has an unusual owner history. The V6 engine eventually got fried after a head gasket blew and my wife didn't notice the huge white steaming contrail billowing along behind her. My brother wanted to do a V8 swap so I sold it to him. He did the swap and I eventually bought it from him. I sold it back to him a while later and he sold it to some other guy. I bought it back from that guy, then my brother bought it back from me, and I bought it from him again and sold it to the miner. So I owned it 4 times and my brother 3 times.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals