• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Frame rivets to bolts

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I should have said "never use lock washers", I'd go ahead and use lock nuts or Loctite but usually the correct torque is good enough. How many other places on the truck use lock nuts and are perfectly safe?
Dave

Rex2nr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys! I will grab some 1/2-20s if I can find them in grade 8. Might be a bit overkill but it's my frame, I don't want to cut corners.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Thanks guys! I will grab some 1/2-20s if I can find them in grade 8. Might be a bit overkill but it's my frame, I don't want to cut corners.
The price difference between the grades used to be significant. I remember paying $10 per bolt for GR 8 to replace my cab hardware ($60 just for the cab bolts). Last year when I replaced it again on the new frame they were only about $2 per bolt (6" x 1/2" x 4 and x 4")...

The auto parts store in town stocks them now...years ago I had to go to a specialty hardware store...so shouldn't be a problem getting a handful of 2" x 1/2" bolts

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I should have said "never use lock washers", I'd go ahead and use lock nuts or Loctite but usually the correct torque is good enough. How many other places on the truck use lock nuts and are perfectly safe?
Dave
I had a whole small container full of automotive lock nuts and some lock washers...I think some of them might have been from the bumpers...and now that I think about it...it might have been me that put some on...I used some to install my box after I realized I couldn't get the C-nuts that Ford used on the 88...(until later when I found a better supplier)...

I guess after 17 years of building the truck I made some errors here and there...lol

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Mac,

I wanted to argue with you about the use of lock washers, but wisely decided not to. Apparently, I have been misinformed over my many years in the maintenance industry. A quick Google search brought me to this website. click here Very informative. I need to study the rest of it. The 2 videos on the linked page are very interesting.

Also, there are many types of lock washers. Maybe some are more effective than others.

Thanks for the eye-opening.

BTW, alwaysFlOoReD, structural steel does see a lot of vibration and movement. Of course it varies with the application. But almost everything around us vibrates. Buildings are continuously vibrating due to equipment and moving objects and people inside them, plus movements subjected from outside, such as a truck or train passing by. Tall buildings, especially are designed to allow a certain amount of movement and flexing due to wind loading. You can also find many videos of bridges and ships flexing wildly - some failing and others not. It's pretty cool when you think about it.

Last edited:

Rex2nr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Even better, my local Home Depot carries 12x1.75mm grade 10.9 bolts. They were actually cheaper than the 8.8/grade 5 bolts and no drilling or tapping. Life will be good if I can get my bed off. The 2 front bolts are frozen.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Apply plenty of PB Blaster or similar penetrating oil...and let it sit for a bit...be prepared to replace a C-nut or two if they snap...I broke two or three of them but didn't find them when I first did this...I found them last year at my local parts store...and replaced all with good working clips and bolts.

Rex2nr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've got it soaking for the night. I'll probably apply another shot before the night is up.

I already had to weld one of the bumper clips to get the bumper off.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
well....welding them is kinda like rocket science compared to what I would have done...:) Sounds like you're on your way to success...I would have pulled the box and then put an impact socket on them and a johnson bar...would work that way too...

I meant to mention...check out Adsm08 build thread if you have time...worth looking at if you are going to all this effort...might do something to preserve it a bit...

Last edited:

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
Dave
"Star" lockwashers for low-medium stress usually works. Split ones are likely usesless though. NASA did a study on that... Split washers made loosening worse in high-vibration situations. If I was to guess why, it's because of the spring action such washers use to lock. But, while I have an Engineering Technology degree (and am an engineer in the automotive manufacturing industry), the degree is in electrical, not mechanical so all I know is outside of school.

The price difference between the grades used to be significant. I remember paying $10 per bolt for GR 8 to replace my cab hardware ($60 just for the cab bolts). Last year when I replaced it again on the new frame they were only about $2 per bolt (6" x 1/2" x 4 and x 4")...
In my experience they do cost more but IMHO if you're at all concerned, the cost difference is pocket change compared to cheaping out and having them break at the worst possible time.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
For what it's worth...the box I put on in 2001 (or so) was still tight as a drum in 2014 when I removed the cab...the cab bolts were torqued but the box was not...I just stuck a Johnson bar on them and cranked them as much as I could.

The hardware was pooched though which kinda pissed me off because the body mounts and all cost me over $400 back then...maybe someone has a good idea for coating the hardware to keep it from seizing and rusting...

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Mark,

Anti-seize products really do work. Not sure if it matters whether you use copper-based or nickel-based anti-seize. I normally use "Never-Seez" BRAND.

But when using anti-seize, torque specs should be lowered. So, on smaller fasteners, be careful or you will strip or break them easier.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Oh, I'm sure they work...but has anyone actually dipped an entire bolt in it to prevent the bolt from rusting so badly that they snap?

Has anyone used anything that prevents the sleeves on body mounts from rusting themselves onto the bolts making them almost impossible to salvage?

I was more concerned with getting the hardware on and tightened properly and overlooked coating the last set that was so expensive...and kicked myself firmly in the butt because I didn't think I would ever have to remove the cab again...

Very limited foresight on that project...which ended up delaying and adding costs to the next stage of it when I had to do the whole thing over again....

Rex2nr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I usually use a good dab of antiseize at the end of the bolt, then allow it to work through the nut as I thread it in- if I remember it in the first place.

Those front bed bolts were a pain- 3 hours to get them off. I was using an impact and broke 2 t55 bits. I finally just grabbed my breaker bar and jack handle and popped the drivers bolt loose. The passenger stripped right out though. I ended up welding a 3/4" nut to the top of the bolt and breaking it loose with the impact.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ranger frames were made from 1017 steel (low carbon - 36ksi yield).

Grade 8 bolts achieve their strength by being a medium carbon alloy heat treated steel. If you weld them post install installation; you are destroying the heat treatment; better to use lock-tite red.

I-Car collision repair states the rivets can be replaced with 7/16" Grade 8 bolts after enlarging hole for the 3/8" or 10mm rivet after torqued to 33-50 ft-lbs; the 7/16" or 12mm rivets replaced by 1/2" Grade 5 bolts torqued to 53-75 ft-lbs. The repair manual specifically cautions to avoid creating stress concentrations.*

I believe the gas tank bracket has 3/8" rivets.

*AlwaysFlOoReD posted Ford's document on frames a while back, but I can't find it this morning. It also cautions against adding too much strength in a location as that would cause stress concentrations.

AlwayFlOoReD was cautioning me about too much frame doubler/welding.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals