• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A/C Clutch won't engage

AcezUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Alright so I stumbled into an 89' Bronco II about a month ago and have been throwing money at this thing the entire time. After sitting w/o running for 5 years I finally got it running (decently well, at least), and have got the major issues fixed. Still got a few hundred little things to do. I live in NM so it gets pretty damn hot here, and a working A/C would be stellar. Noticed the clutch wasn't engaging. I assumed the R12 was low so I hooked a bottle up and tried filling it, but still wasn't getting anything. Checked the connector at the compressor and got voltage. I assumed my clutch was shot, so I jumpered it (from the compressor) to the battery and BAM!, the clutch kicked in and it started blowing cold. Checked all my fuses and they are all good. Anyone got any ideas? I'd really like to get this thing workin myself as i'm short on cash in the next few days and it's gettin close to the 100 degree mark.

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Low pressure switch is bad would be my guess.

AcezUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
And that is the one that plugs into the evaporator i'm guessing? Is there a way I can test the switch to find out for sure?

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, thats the one. I dont know of a way to test it. You can unplug it and jump it there to get the clutch to cycle and take the r12. Once you have the right amount in, then plug it back in and see if it cycles on its own. If it doesnt, theres nothing else that would keep it from working that Im aware of.

sblake01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I test those by removing the switch, connecting a voltmeter on the terminals set for continuity, and put pressure to it with an air gun. Continuity=good, no continuity=bad......

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals