• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Old Girl Bit the Dust Today

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
pretty sure I would drive it.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Doesn't really matter what vehicle hit it, 1st gen Rangers and B2's are NOT designed to absorb crash impacts well.

My buddy's Ranger was rear ended at a relatively low speed and the frame was bent all the way up to the cab. We welded in the back half of another frame to fix it. My '86 was also wrecked when I got it - was hit on the passenger side front, frame bent just like this B2. I straightened it enough to be usable.

From what I can see I'd say that your B2 looks fixable, I have seen MUCH worse get straightened out. It is a bummer in any case and I sympathize, the truck I inherited from my grandpa has been hit twice. Just broke my heart both times.
my truck has been hit several times too. and looks like your saying because they are not built to absorb they holdup to be diy fixable to a higher degree.

at least that has been my experience.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Trucks don't really like getting hit in the rear, especially with a receiver hitch.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
fix it and drive it til the wheels fall off. that's what I always do. I live in ohio so rust is the biggest factor with older vehicles here. normally you can't fix unrust a truck without replacing or patch welding. it honestly doesn't look bad though. fix the steering parts and get an alignment and get a headlight and a fender if it doesn't pound back out.

Rustbucket350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ah good news. The frame looks fine. It looks like it's just the passenger axle beam bracket that broke and twisted at the welds. I can fix that and reposition it. The core support is trashed and I don't care for the way they welded the whole thing together. After I fix the axle I'll cut the front core support off and beat the whole thing back into shape. I'll probably be putting this turbo kit I have on it too. I had decided not to because I didn't want to break something... but, that happened anyway. I might just pound this fender out and make a bumper out of some 3/16" square tube.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
and looks like your saying because they are not built to absorb they holdup to be diy fixable to a higher degree.
Yes. Vehicles with crumple zones are much harder to work with. But, cars are basically disposable things, and I think the tradeoff between safer and harder to repair is worthwhile.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes. Vehicles with crumple zones are much harder to work with. But, cars are basically disposable things, and I think the tradeoff between safer and harder to repair is worthwhile.
RBV's are far from a '59 Caddy for heavy hard to crumple construction.

Rustbucket350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ha you guys were right. I cut the axle drop bracket apart, repositioned it, welded the piss out of it, and installed new tie rods and axle bushings. Then I cut the core support apart an pounded it into submission. It's coming along nicely. Nice enough that I may buy another new fender, add a body lift, and possibly paint it.

Last edited:

350danger_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Being a twin I beam a lot of times in these situations it is the I beam that goes bad kinda like that whole saying the weakest link I've seen full size trucks with twin I beams that have had worse damage to the front end and shaped out the whole I beam and it was good to go it is a pain in the Ass to do but not as big a P. I. T. A as a whole frame swap.....good luck to ya

Rustbucket350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I get what you're saying and I really don't care for the TTB at all anymore. It does have some things I like about it but its not the strongest setup. If I had any further damage to it I probably would have done a solid axle swap but it was easily salvageable. A lot of the front end was worn and in need of replacement anyway. I'm still trying to figure out why Ford decided to weld the front core support in and use threaded sleeves for the bushings. Holy hell the bushings were more difficult than pulling the passenger side two inches forward.

350danger_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Money money money that's y any car manufacturer builds stupidly, take for instance GMs EVAP it's located behind the server-side rear wheel now if you live in a state that gets snow you can expect to change the vent solenoid every 6 months it's a stupid design and the engineers need to be slapped in the back of there heads looking at it from a mechanics point of view, however it was cheaper to use that design so there for millions of GM cars and trucks (that are gas jobs) are prone to a P440 code (major EVAP leak).

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
my 93 had frame damage and i drove it another 5 years before retiring it, had to remove the passenger side rear lift block for the back to be level. rust got the best of the front of the frame behind the shock/coil tower and with all the other issues it was having i let it go down the road.

Rustbucket350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well this is embarrassing but everything is done minus a new grille. I tried to upload a picture but oh well the internet sucks now that photobucket went pay to play.

Last edited:

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well this is embarrassing but everything is done minus a new grille. I tried to upload a picture but oh well the internet sucks now that photobucket went pay to play.
I've been using Flikr. I don't post many photos (not doing a build thread, although this spring I have to do brakes, and might want to post some pictures, and might have to do the fuel pump). However, when I have posted pictures, Flikr works really well.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
original

try editing the URL to add ~original between .jpg and [/img]

so it looks like:

........jpg~original[/img]

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals