• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 high idle

zuki

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
suzuki
Transmission
Automatic
my 4.0 ohv has developed a high idle, 1500rpm. will not idle down. i have checked for vacuum leaks, and found none, pulled the codes from the computer, and i do have some codes, but nothing i can link to the high idle. i swapped the coolant sensor out and that changed nothing. when i pull the wires off the idle air controller, it does idle down to about 800rpm's. any thoughts?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are 2 coolant temp sensors.
1 wire SENDER only used for dashboard temp gauge
2 wire SENSOR only used by computer

The 2 wire sensor would be the one that could cause the computer to "think" engine is cold all the time and set high idle and rich mix.
That would cause a CEL after 5 to 10 minutes through, the computer times engine warm up, if temp sensor doesn't reach a preset minimum in a preset time it will turn on the CEL.

The IAC Valve is operated by a Step Motor, a step motor responds to voltage pulses, like a digitally controlled motor.
Computer can send IAC valve a pulse to open valve 1/4", another pulse to open 7/8", ect....I think there are over 100 pulse commands the computer can use to set IAC valves air flow.

When you unplugged the IAC Valve it is closing, but not all the way, idle should drop down to about 500 or engine should stall, either is fine.
But at 800 it means either IAC Valve is not closed all the way or you have a vacuum leak.
The unchanging idle as engine warms up could mean the step motors internal pulse recognition has failed, so motor just turns valve all the way open when any pulse is received, or the computers voltage pulsing circuit has failed and is sending "open valve all the way" pulse all the time.

I would remove the IAC valve and make sure it is closing all the way when unplugged, if not then you will need to replace it, you can try cleaning it but...........
Then plug it back in and turn on the key, it should open all the way, then unplug it again and listen for any odd sounds when it closes.

These do not fail as often as you think, people just tend to replace them when there is an idle issue, lol.
So getting one from a wrecking yard is not a bad gamble.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Seeing as you have a custom set-up going, I'd also make sure the throttle body blade is closing all the way.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^

While that wouldn't cause the 1,500rpm idle it might explain the 800rpm minimum idle.

On the throttle linkage there is an adjustment screw, it is not an "idle screw", although some think it is and it is similar in function.
It is there to adjust the throttle plate for the TPS(throttle position sensor).
If this screw has been adjusted then minimum idle could be set too high(800), you should adjust the screw so without IAC valve connected the idle is at 500 or so, below 600.
Then unhook battery for 5 minutes, this will reboot computer when it is powered up the next time and it will relearn TPS voltage settings for idle.

Last edited:

zuki

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
suzuki
Transmission
Automatic
so i removed the iac. it does not close all the way, i can blow thru it. i am assuming this is my problem then?

zuki

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
suzuki
Transmission
Automatic
new iac and it idles perfect now. thank you!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals