• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swapping Electric T_Case.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Couple of questions, then the plan!

First, did 84 B2's come with BW1350 T-Cases?

Did 94 Explorers come with BW1354 T-Cases?

Do BW1350's directly replace BW1354's?

Do the auto hubs, or auto T-Case require driving backwards 10ft to unlock?

Plan: To swap the (assumed) BW1350 for the (assumed) BW1354. Hopefully there by deleting the need to reverse to turn of 4x4.

Thanks, 84BB2

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
You only have to back up to disengage auto hubs. The electric or auto t-case only "electically" engages the front axles. For the wheels to have power the hubs must be locked or engaged. Manual hubs require you to turn them to lock them in. auto hubs engage when the axles are turned ie:when the t-case is engaged. when you press the button to disengage 4x4 the t-case disengages the front axle, but the hubs stay engaged until you back up. with manual hubs as soon as you turn them back to the unlocked position they are unlocked, no backing up. The transfer case only turns on or turns off power to the front drive shaft and axles. When you hit the button, it either engages or disengages...no backing required. Sooooooo it sounds like you just want manual hubs. I myself and many others are running an electric t-case with manual hubs...works just fine. If you want to switch your electric t-case for a manual one (for reliability) I believe the 1350 and 1354 are swappable just make sure they have the same style output flange upfront. Hope im clear enough if you need clarification I'll try to help.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
are u going from electric to manual or the other way around, manual hubs also require u to go a couple feet forward if the splines arent totally lined up

btw if u need a 1350 i got one f/s

also i believe the 1354 requires flange mounted front d-shaft, and the 1350 requires slip yoke type, easy fix is get the right front driveshaft, the mounting to the trans is the same

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Couple of questions, then the plan!

First, did 84 B2's come with BW1350 T-Cases?

Did 94 Explorers come with BW1354 T-Cases?

Do BW1350's directly replace BW1354's?

Do the auto hubs, or auto T-Case require driving backwards 10ft to unlock?

Plan: To swap the (assumed) BW1350 for the (assumed) BW1354. Hopefully there by deleting the need to reverse to turn of 4x4.

Thanks, 84BB2
Umm....

yes

yes

kinda but not exactly (see driveshaft comment above)

hubs gotta go backwards to unlock, but 10' sounds like way too much. 10 inches sounds more like it.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just what I read in the owner's manual about the 10ft thing. I want to do manual everything but the T-Case I have already so it will be first. I'd need to find a new driveshaft I think. B2 has TK4, Explorer has M5OD. Swapping the 1350 from b2 into explorer in place of a 1354.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
The TK4 is about 5 inches shorter than the M5OD, so you'll need to find a front driveshaft from a 1350/M5OD truck - probably around '88-89 and some '90 models.

The rear output may change too, I think the flange is larger on the later models so you may need to take the output flange off your electric 1354 and put it on the 1350.

ds1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l beast!
Transmission
Automatic
IMO, I would not recommend the electronic unit. In winter times, the switching motor freezes up, and will not go into 4x4. I had to rebuild mine twice. Sometimes the switching relay goes bad, in which case, if mine ever did, I would get the manual Tcase. EFF the electronic BS!!!!

oh and manual locking hubs-> yes.
auto locking hubs->well if you never want to be sure you're in 4x4, go this route.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just an after thought... what could cause the front left side to make a clunk noise when I hit a hard bump, but not any other part?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals