• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco 2 tank in a ranger?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
After some searching I learned a few things here on TRS, other forums and the web at large. It seems the rear tanks on the rangers were rare even from factory and only offered for about 3 or 4 years in the late 80s. No aftermarket support at all from what I can tell so a used one is the only option for a replacement.

Concerns raised with the bronco II rear tank are not limited to the tank hanging down lower. According to others that have attempted the swap, the filler inlet is aimed right at one of the bed support beams so that would have to be cut somehow to gain the clearance. I wonder if thats what was meant by a body lift being required? Cross member mods might allow for the tank to be shifted forward or rearward to clear the support beam but at that point its more trouble than its worth.

An interesting option I did find was for an F350/F450 tank that one guy used with good results. Here is what he had to say about how and why he used one for his truck:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67409

Post #6

Still involved sectioning one of the bed support beams though.....
Had I known this such a difficult problem, I would have tried to salvage the original tank.

Short of that I could just spend a few days rummaging through a wrecking yard until I find something that sort of fits. Think I'll put this one on the back burner again.

On my truck I only sectioned the bed support box and replaced it with a piece of 1/4" x 4" steel flat bar because I was unwilling to put a 2" body lift on my truck.

And the body lift had nothing to do with the orientation of the filler neck on the bronco2 tank bevcause a lift wouldn't solve that problem.

The bronco2 tank has a higher domed top that creates worse clearance issues than the F350/450 tank that I did use.

there was another issue with the bronco2 tank.... that was that where the front crossmember for the Bronco2 MUST be it winds up interfering with the driver side upper shock mount.

So with a 3" body mount and a elaborate bracket to box a path for the filler pipe for the left side mid bed mount and converting your supercab to outboard shocks yeah you can make a bronco2 tank fit....

Now OTOH it is much more easily installed into a ranger with along box....

But then again so does the larger tank from some econolines, if you mount the tank turned 90 degrees from the way the factory intended it to be mounted...

AD

David85

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Allan. Looks like the bronco 2 tank is definitely out. I was able to get in touch with the company mentioned earlier and he says they have new OEM rear tanks for the ranger. Got confirmation by Email and I'm seriously thinking to phone them and order one and be done with it. How could would that be - just pop that sucker in without any mods and its good to go.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals