• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

v8 swap in a 1984 bronco II

88ranger2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
Do you still need headers? I believe I still have the stock Expo ones of my swap. I will have to make a call to find out though.
I am not sure now. I haven't tried the 89500s I have yet and I do have some exhaust manifolds laying there that can be used. Best answer I have is maybe...

PM me what you are thinking on them...

88ranger2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
Update

Well it was pretty soggy all afternoon yesterday. I thought I wasn't going to get much done as the bronco is parked just outside my building due to the total lack of organization on my part to clean the building out more... However, It stopped raining right around dark so I went and pulled out the drop light and got to work.

I had picked up some 5/16" brake line on the way home from work and bent up my fuel line. Really my first attempt at it and it doesn't look terrible I think. I will probably add some rubber hose over the line to protect it in a couple of areas from rubbing, but I think it is good enough to run now.

I haven't trimmed the end yet for hooking up to the carb, but it is pretty close so far. I think it is going to clear the air cleaner just fine as well... If I had to do again I am sure I would have routed it a little different, but it was a first attempt and falls into category of one of my build requirements...

"Perfect is the enemy of good enough"

It clears steering box with almost a 1/4 to 5/16 of an inch to spare and clears all the hoses and power steering set up.

Once the fuel line was in I went ahead and shortened the water pump bolt I had threaded more at work yesterday to be the right length for my engine and got the water pump fully bolted down now. Next up was setting in the power steering pump and power steering / a/c bracket and bolted it down. I was very relieved to see that everything was still clearing with the new fuel line.

While I was at it I pulled the a/c compressor and hoses off the F150 and taped them shut and threw the compressor and belt on to verify I had the right one.

Looks like the belt I found at Napa Online will work just fine for this and is only $18.00... I don't expect it to hold up too long, but it was the right price to get it started and verify the lenth.

The list of "To Do" is getting shorter everyday now.

Install starter
short rubber fuel line from hard line to carb
hook original wiring back up
modify mustang style throttle hook up to accept bronco with cruise control
hook up the ignition and carb choke to a key on 12V source
Install Temp sensor in intake
Install exhaust manifolds/headers
Put hoses back on that I have set up to go
Radiator in
Check Fluids
Do a once over on fasteners
Then I should be pretty well ready for the test fire in the bronco

If we weren't going to visit the wife's parents this weekend I would have it driving. That is ok though, we don't get to visit them very often so I am looking forward to the trip.

88ranger2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
Update.
Just a short update for today. I have the air conditioning system back installed and buttoned up. Only minor rigging involved as the parts are a mix of stock F150 and stock Ranger parts. The system is sealed up to protect everything again though which is good. I was pretty happy about not needing any custom hoses.

The Radiator is probably not going to work like I had hoped. My other bronco has an explorer radiator in it I believe I may try it in there to see if it is going to fit better. The stock brass 3 row radiator's lower hose connector only just clears the power steering pump pulley. I may switch to my other bracket and power steering pump to see if it is any better. I want to run it anyway as it will be quite the upgrade anyhow, but I am not sure if it really moves the pulley any.

SAGINAW bolt in!!!

I got it out of a 351 V8 econoline van. I think it was about a 1991 but I am not positive. The junkyard didn't have a year listed on it that I could see. It also didn't matter to much to me as it is a pretty sweet set up.

My other alternative I was thinking is trying to find a power steering pulley with a slightly smaller diameter. I only need to gain like a 1/8 inch or so so I was thinking that maybe a pulley with about a 1/4 inch less diameter would get me what I need as well... Not sure what all is available. Also, with this being a non high revving project I don't see it as an issue spinning the pump a little faster.

I did score a few other odds and ends on the junkyard run.

Some tow eyes and a distributor cover...

The tow eyes look like they should be a good addition to the front for when I build a bumper I think I can work them in somehow.

And the distributor cover, if it fits, will conceal the fact that it is a HEI distributor.

I also finished a few things up yesterday evening. I got the starter installed and wired back up.
The bell-housing to engine bolts all re-torqued to verify they were in right.
I finished all the hose routing in the engine bay with the exception of the radiator hoses (vacuum, heater, distributor advance, brakes, etc, ...)
Tidied up a little of the wiring as well.

Does anyone know if there is a ford 302 with the same style valve covers as a F150 1991 with a passenger side front Oil fill that would match my drivers side valve cover?

You can just see the valve cover and fill I am talking about. I thought mustangs did, but the junkyard made me believe they all had aluminum ones that don't match...

Last edited:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Mustangs ( 86-95) have a right side oil fill tube because the FI went in that direction compared to the truck FI. Not sure the covers will be the same or not. The later Mustangs had a stamped steel black valve cover with the tube.

88ranger2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
Well I have had a rough week or so. I did get to go visit the in-laws weekend before last, but I lost my great uncle that same weekend. He was 92 and was on a slow decline from Alzheimer. I did get to stop by and visit before we left for the weekend. Looking back now I am relieved to have gotten the call and made the decision to take some time to visit before going away for the weekend. I am glad he isn't in pain anymore. It was a very moving service the Military Honor guard gave him and a nice day. I am sure he would have really appreciated it. My wife and I did put together the pictures for the services so we had the opportunity to look back through a lot of the old family albums and it was just good to see all the different memories and events that were in his life.

I do know he is going to be missed. He was perhaps the most mechanically apt person I have ever been around and helped me all the time growing up fixing this or that. I learned something from him every time I watched him work on anything. He was truly someone who could fix anything.

Then, I pulled some muscles in my back working last Wednesday, and have been riding the couch and taking it easy since.

The good news is the back is feeling better the past couple of days, it isn't raining, and my wife has classes tonight so I should be back to work this afternoon and looking forward to getting something done again. Just wanted to put an update up that I wasn't giving up on the bronco.

Just it got sidetracked for a couple of weeks as life took priority.

Pictures and information to follow this evening or tomorrow on progress again.

Last edited:

88ranger2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 5.0
Transmission
Automatic

Just decided to put up a picture of the 2 bronco's the day the brown one came home.

I may sell the brown one yet. I am undecided.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
So whatever happened here?

88ranger2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
The engine swap is done. I haven't driven it much due to getting terribly busy with work. We got a pretty big job and have been working out of town every week and home just a day or two. I took some of my weekends to get the building cleaned up enough to park the the bronco in 'cold storage' in the back corner because I knew it would be at least next spring before I would get back to it. I got the motor to idle decent, but I do have a few small details on the list to do and then the exhaust finished. There are pictures waiting to get posted and some more write up, but I want to wait till I get the exhaust finalized to see what direction it is going to go in the end.

The wife and i picked up a 1996 ford ranger as a temporary stand in till I get more time to finish up the bronco for good.

It is however disappointing to have the project sit in the corner waiting for more time and nice weather, but it is kinda good to have another RBV in the stables.

getoffroad

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
How did your motor mounts work out? Also i wondered if you had trouble with the balancer since you went from a 3 bolt which I thought were 28oz to a 4 bolt which for a serpentine I would think it would be a 50oz. I am getting ready to drop in a 302 from a 72 bronco with v belts but would like to use the serp belt set up. Someplace along the way, back when ebay was a good place to get parts with true shipping costs..., I got a 28oz 4 bolt balancer off a 69 mustang. Not sure if I can find it in all my parts. Anyway. I would really like to find out what motor mounts I could use to put a 302 in my 84 bronco II 2.8 hole with a c5 trans-my trans has already been rebuilt and is really just a c4 now. I had started my project to drop in a 2.3 in it and at some time drop in the 2.3 turbo out of a thunderchicken into it...I need something to tow my ATV's so I changed to my mind to a 302.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
3 to 4 bolt balancer started a lot before they ever went to a serpentine. And serpentine wasn't across all cars when it first came out either. Lots of info here you are missing :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals