• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Snow, ice, and a slightly Modded B2

SmokeEater829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
Finishing up the end of my deer season with some rough weather for my area. I know snow and ice is common for some of y'all, but to an New Orleans local hunting in South Mississippi it's not a commonplace for me. Nothing special, just thought it looked cool.

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I was driving mine up parking lot snow mountains here in mid mi. 4lo and your good 2 go I've been able to get thru 3 ft deep so far no problem, love the 4.0 n m5od

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Your B2 looks good, but those are mud tires not snow tires LOL.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Us MS folks ain't suppose to get snow!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
^^Well it is winter, and anything is possible. Here in Idaho we don't get ice storms very often at all, but we had one last night and though it wasn't much, by the way people were driving you would have thought we had several feet of snow. Wasn't that it was very slick, just people who have no business driving on dry roads seem to think they should drive every time we get a snow storm or the like in a POS car with tires on it that should have been replaced a decade ago that still haven't grasped the concept of not tailgating people, and to slow down and pay attention. So of course there were numerous slide-offs, accidents, etc. here today, as is every other snow storm we have. Seems like they never learn from one storm to the next how not to drive.

Many of these people are also the ones who have their $60k luxury SUV's and think that the AWD makes them invincible as well. Heck most of the time the Hubs are never locked in on my Bronco 2 and I think maybe once a year if that the 4WD ever gets used in either of my trucks. My 4WD has been used more often to pull out tree stumps and bushes at home than it has been used on the road.

People also ask me if I have tire chains, nope I don't, if I have to put chains on its time to stay home, work and going into town in those conditions that warrant tire chains means I shouldn't be driving. I've got a set somewhere for the B2 but the only time I've ever chained up was with my 84 Ranger 4x2 when we had 18" of snow at my cousins and lacked about 3' of making it up their driveway with my travel trailer one year.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Your B2 looks good, but those are mud tires not snow tires LOL.
Isn't snow just white mud?

I love driving in the snow and I think BII excellent machine for it.

I been down in TX when they had black ice on the roads and the drivers were acting like it was just some rain despite seeing people spin out.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Isn't snow just white mud?

I love driving in the snow and I think BII excellent machine for it.

I been down in TX when they had black ice on the roads and the drivers were acting like it was just some rain despite seeing people spin out.
LOL, not really, because driving in mud and snow it different when it comes to tire composites. A mud tire is a harder compound for offroad use to avoid damage to the tires. Using that same tire on snow/ice gives you very little traction as it takes several miles of high speed driving to get the tires heated up enough to provide better traction so you aren't sliding around as much.

I have to agree though, I like my B2 in snow/ice. It does just fine and doesn't have all the electronic stability and traction control crap to hold you back.

Broncojumper87

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I like the b2 and im glad to hear everyone likes them in the ice and snow. I have an off topic question however how are you running the wired for the lights on the roof? I have mine on the roof aswell and Im nervous about drilling a hoke in the top of my b2. Im sure thats the only way to get the wires inside and hidden but I thought I would ask?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
You could run the wires up through the rear hatch between the hatch and the body, then just zip-tie or otherwise attach them to the rack. Otherwise you will have to drill a hole through the roof, then seal it well afterwards.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I like the b2 and im glad to hear everyone likes them in the ice and snow. I have an off topic question however how are you running the wired for the lights on the roof? I have mine on the roof aswell and Im nervous about drilling a hoke in the top of my b2. Im sure thats the only way to get the wires inside and hidden but I thought I would ask?
I too would be kind of nervous about drilling a hole. When I had stuff with wires on my roof (none currently), I ran the wires back to the passenger side top of the liftgate. Having the wires as part of a jacketed cable or putting them in tubing makes them neater.

I then slipped them under the liftgate in the top corner to the side where the gap didn't get so tight opening and closing the liftgate, but I did not bring the wires inside the vehicles there. I ran them down along the outside of the weather stripping to the bottom and then made a very small loop and then came inside at the bottom edge near the corner. This created a nice drip loop to keep water from coming in. From there I went to underneath interior carpet/trim to get up front.

To keep the cables along the weather stripping and not get hung up I used a used self adhesive cable tie anchors (ones with the sticky foam back). One near the top just inside where the cable comes under the lip of the liftgate but not close enough to interfere with movement. Then another at the very bottom to define the drip loop. Then two or three more along the edge to insure the cables stayed in place and didn't get caught or pinched in things like the cylinders that hold the gate open.

Instead of cable ties I used plastic covered twist ties (not the paper ones) so I could remove one as needed (I had several things on the roof with cables) without having to clip cable ties and find replacements.

It held up great in the weather and lasted 10 years. From the outside you could see the cables go under the liftgate in the upper corner and then a little loop at the bottom edge when the liftgate was closed.

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I too would be kind of nervous about drilling a hole. When I had stuff with wires on my roof (none currently), I ran the wires back to the passenger side top of the liftgate. Having the wires as part of a jacketed cable or putting them in tubing makes them neater.

I then slipped them under the liftgate in the top corner to the side where the gap didn't get so tight opening and closing the liftgate, but I did not bring the wires inside the vehicles there. I ran them down along the outside of the weather stripping to the bottom and then made a very small loop and then came inside at the bottom edge near the corner. This created a nice drip loop to keep water from coming in. From there I went to underneath interior carpet/trim to get up front.

To keep the cables along the weather stripping and not get hung up I used a used self adhesive cable tie anchors (ones with the sticky foam back). One near the top just inside where the cable comes under the lip of the liftgate but not close enough to interfere with movement. Then another at the very bottom to define the drip loop. Then two or three more along the edge to insure the cables stayed in place and didn't get caught or pinched in things like the cylinders that hold the gate open.

Instead of cable ties I used plastic covered twist ties (not the paper ones) so I could remove one as needed (I had several things on the roof with cables) without having to clip cable times and find replacements.

It held up great in the weather and lasted 10 years. From the outside you could see the cables go under the liftgate in the upper corner and then a little loop at the bottom edge when the liftgate was closed.
That's a good idea. Hadn't thought of that yet LOL. Then again I have more important issues like rust to worry about before adding any cool accessories LOL.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
LOL, not really, because driving in mud and snow it different when it comes to tire composites. A mud tire is a harder compound for offroad use to avoid damage to the tires. Using that same tire on snow/ice gives you very little traction as it takes several miles of high speed driving to get the tires heated up enough to provide better traction so you aren't sliding around as much.
Mud tires are usually softer than regular street tires, they have far fewer biting edges for biting into what little nooks and crannys packed snow and ice provide.

Regular snow tires are really soft with a bunch of little biting edges. They are also cheaper than normal tires... the soft nature of snow tires combined with their low cost also makes them good for burnout contestes for those with power that want to put on a good smokeshow.

Tons of smoke and cheap. :icon_idea: :3gears:

We haven't had much more than 2" of snow so far this year which is unusual, we really need the moisture bad.

Harley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5 in susp 2 in body
Tire Size
35 1250
Finishing up the end of my deer season with some rough weather for my area. I know snow and ice is common for some of y'all, but to an New Orleans local hunting in South Mississippi it's not a commonplace for me. Nothing special, just thought it looked cool.

thats a cool pic....tough looking b2 also. where did you get the top rack? thats what im looking for...

SmokeEater829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
To answer as many questions as I can in one post, here goes.

First of all, thanks! This little monster has been tons of fun and 3 tons of work so far.

The roof rack, I built out of two ATV hitch carriers and some 1x1 steel square tubing. I found the idea on another forum. Pirate4x4 I think. Then I modded it to fit my needs.

As for the wiring, it is ran down the roof, along the windshield trim and then into the cowl under the windshield wipers right along the fender. It's all wrapped in wire loom and attached to the truck with the sticky Ty-wrap holders. I use a small dab of 5200 Marine Sealant to help the holders stick forever!

I used to install lighting and electronics for my local police department vehicles and that is how we ran their roof lighting.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals