• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

chromoly ranger shafts, biggest tire size?

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So as some of you may know. I contacted a company about having a set of chromoly axle shafts made for the Dana 35.

I know lots of people run 35s I've seen quite a few on 37s and heard about 40s.

Seems like most run 35s reliably. Think they'll hold 37s reliably?

I'm talking full circle clips, 4.88 gears, an aussie, spicer u joints. The usual upgrades.

Chromoly 4340 is supposed to be about 30%? Stronger?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I would say 37s. Above that the ring & pinion I suspect may become an issue, though I can't say for sure (almost no one ever busts R&Ps, probably because running stock axle shafts that give out first).

I know people often do the Super-35 kits (30-spline conversions) on Jeep rear D35s and I'm not sure if I've seen a plethora of busted R&Ps there either (plenty of bent housings though lol), so maybe there's some hope for the HP front version since the front doesn't see the same workload as a rear axle.

For sure you're entering territory that hasn't been heavily charted yet.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I figured as much that no one has ventured here. I'm doing this mod when money permits. Hopefully this summer. If so ill be sure to do a write up and let every one know what happens.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
you pretty much have to look at it as you are still running a D35 in the end and with 35+ inch tires the chances of something breaking are more than likely.

The way ive always looked at it is do you want something easy to replace be your weak point or do you want something difficult being the weak point and when it does break you hope you can get the truck out of wherever you are so you can fix it.

I myself would rather keep the hubs as the weakest point and then from there the shafts/u joints. Pop the wheel off and throw a new hub on it right in the trails. Get the truck somewhere you can jack it up and with simple hand tools pull and replace a shaft right in the trails. You can carry spare shafts and hubs and get them in so you can make it out. Its not that easy doing a differential case swap in the woods so you can get out.

Even beefing up the shafts they are still made of metal and metal is malleable. The U joint ears will still be weak and probably give out before the shaft just as they do in stock form. The shafts are already pretty strong its the u joint ears that twist and distort.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Something that might help is to have the R&P gears cryogenically treated before you install them. I've seen some reports this adds something like a 10-15% strength increase.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hmm that is a good idea. The reason for the chromoly shafts is the ears. People seem to twist tthose off a lot. Idk that ill run 37s but I might. Ill run it on 35s first tho.I just really wanted to keep the ears intact. Seems like they wear out or something. Ill most likely keep the hubs as the weak point. I'm not a mash the gas kinda guy. But I also think the ring and pinion won't be a problem. I run in mud and snow that's it. When I get stuck its because im high centered. Guys run 40s on a Dana 30 around here. That tells you that we don't have the toughest of trails.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals