• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 Conversion Headers

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

insane302cancan

EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Any confirmation on the patriot tri-y's fitting on bronco II with a 302/aod combo? im not too worried about the collectors and the main tube fitting as those can be cut and angled. more worried about the 8 primaries fitting.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For 2wd it will take some work to get around the bigger AOD's bellhousing, it uses a 164t flexplate and the tri-y's were intended more for 157t.

For a 4wd you are pretty well hosed and will have to remake the DS to find around all the best parts of a 4wd system... mainly the front driveshaft and transfer case.

insane302cancan

EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the heads up. Yea, 302, AOD and NP208 transfercase. Again, as long as its not the primary tubes and its just the collector tube, im not too worried. Im hoping someone will try it on a aod 4x4 combo so i dont have to be the test mule :icon_thumby:

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
My contribution: Hedman 88400 headers; 1.5" primaries, 2.5" collectors, 163$ from Summit Racing, and they fit like a charm on a 4x4, here are pics showing clearances. No interference with anything.

What mounts are you using? Looks like you've got a good bit of clearance. I'm doing a 351W swap and doing the 1/4" plate for motor mounts.... These look like they could work!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Hawkins04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm just now starting a 302 swap in my 90' 2wd ranger. I just got a fuel injected 302 with an AOD trans out of a 90' town car. I read through this whole thread and a little confused as to what headers to go with that will fit the best with what I have without breaking the bank to do it.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
The explorer manifolds and headers will do but both are a bit restrictive (the headers are the worse but I'm running them with no problems). If I do remember the town cars have whats called log style headers on them and I have been want to get measurements on them and see if they would work for a swap like this since I haven't seen anybody or mention them other then me let alone use them.

But if I do remember right, the town cars are only 155hp so I don't think the explorer headers or manifolds will effect anything.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Hawkins04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going to be going through the motor and upgrading the cam, heads, ect just a mild build before it goes in the truck. I would like to get headers that aren't going to restrict the motor a lot.

Hawkins04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Any other info? I have tried to find other builds with my combo but nothing. I am also going to be using 95' mustang GT mounts

faststang90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my custom headers

i had a set of 1 3/4 x 3 headers done that goes out over the frame rails. this is just a race truck with a 347.

kicknurass4fun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Any recent updates for non lifted 98+ 4x4 ranger header options? I believe torque monster no longer makes headers. I dont plan to run a gt40p head due to spark plug issues. Im also willing to perform some minor notching to the passenger side frame. Just looking for a reasonable option other then making custom headers.

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There is a user, "Naterenfo1" that is using Patriot Tri Y's and trying to fit them (gt40p heads in a 98 frame) naturally with issues on the driver side. I know there are ways to mod the steering shaft location, and I am curious what the other issues are. He hasn't posted in a couple months and I found his duplicate thread over on pirate 4x4 with more pics of the headers. Gives me hope.

TM's are just too much money with a waiting line that starts in hell. **edit- As I've just learned, the Torque Monster headers are not being produced because the man he made them has passed away. Sad news for him and his family**

Any updates on fitment with the JBA's??

Last edited:

Rangermater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
90 ranger 351w swap

So what headers are y'all using for a ranger 2wd 351w. Also will just regular manifolds work or do I have to use headers? Trying to get some answers so I can purchase everything at once for my swap! Thanks in advance

Matt-1481

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guys, first post. I have been racing a 1997 ford ranger with a 1993 fox body efi motor. I use right now heddman v8 ranger conversion headers with good results. You will want to cut the three bolt flanges off as they leak terribly and are basically garbage. I had my local exaust shop make me 2 ball and socket style two bolt flanges. These are the ideal flanges to use, no gasket required, don't need a wrench holding the bolt on the backside. Makes removal easy and leak proof. After I welded the new flanges on I took it back to the exaust shop and he bent me up a custom y-pipe, cost $150. But I'm looking to upgrade. I might try Jba truck truck headers with 01-05 mustang down pipes going to twin magna flow straight thru mufflers dumped behind the cab. The other option is $1800 custom exaust from header flanges to tail pipe from Richards performance muffler in Oceanside.
I did not have to cut the frame at all with the heddmans just the collector upgrade is reccomended and custom y pipe from any exaust shop.

Also 351 is 1" wider block than 302/5.0. I know my friend made his 351 work with the stock manifolds and cutting the frame out a little. Look into the JbA as they are quality and ceramic coated

DragOne

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have hooker conversion headers slip on collectors leaked very bad! but they did fit with steering shaft alteration used E bay ujoints still close. ended up welding collectors on was not easy had to cut open collector to fully weld each tube inside, now engine & headers must be installed at same time but not bolted together, the only upside is they must make more power then any of the others, 1 5/8" tube full equal length but are a complete pain in the ass

I still use the full hooker conversion kit/engine mounts on my '87 2wd std cab when I built it in 1997. (1976 mustang cobra 2 engine and C4). Everything including the stock driveline bolts right up with no steering, heater, or tunnel alterations. Use anti-seize on the slip joints, you will not have any leaks and you can take the exhaust apart later.

edit: A 6 inch K&N air filter, weiand stealth, 625 carter carb under the stock hood. I Chained down the engine as listed in the first few pages of the thread so that it does not dent the hood although that has never happened yet even after the chain broke. stock 7.5" rear end of the ranger has held to the 200hp'ish, 21mpg DD

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals