• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 B2 Conversion using 2000 Explorer 302

dSINtia

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Guys,

I've been lurking for literally years. I own, and have since it was new, an 88 2wd Bronco II. It is fully restored to stock... B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L... but it has the lousy Cologne V6 and horrendous A4LD (I'm on my third one in 145K M). Anyhow, I've been intrigued with the 302 conversion for 15 years and last week I ran across what I think was a screaming deal. A 2000 Ford Explorer with the GT-40p Windsor 302 and 4R70W transmission with only 60K original miles. Un-wrecked and perfectly drivable... I picked it for $300. Not $3,000 - $300. I couldn't pass... I figured this is the PERFECT donor vehicle.

Anyhow, I have been reading and scouring the forums like crazy for articles or threads similar to what I'm about to undertake and have found nothing that really strikes me.

I have lots of questions about everything from PATS to the wiring harness to the need for driveshaft modification... not sure where to turn.

Will I need to pull the steering column out of the donor due to PATS... can I use the stock 5.0's FEAD, will I need a driveshaft modification or transmission adapter (tail shaft or bell housing), can I use the already married engine and tranny assuming I pull the ECM and wiring loom from the donor??? The list goes on and on and on but I'm starting this weekend and would love a little guidance for the pros.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Last edited:

Fant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The stock fead is the best u can get. Its shorter than f150. Frm what i gather. Since ur b11 was 2wd. It used a dummy tcase. So u wnt need an adapter for the tranny. Use explorer drive line yoke and either shop around for right legnth driveshaft or have one made.

dSINtia

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The stock fead is the best u can get. Its shorter than f150. Frm what i gather. Since ur b11 was 2wd. It used a dummy tcase. So u wnt need an adapter for the tranny. Use explorer drive line yoke and either shop around for right legnth driveshaft or have one made.
Yes. The 2WD used BW dummy xfer case and I figured using the stock FEAD was the best way to go. I'll use the radiator out of the donor and I already the truck set up on an electric cooling fan so mech clutch and fan aren't a concern.

Thanks... now I just need someone to chime in on the PATS... I think that stands for passive anti-theft system. The 2000 came with a "B" type system and I am concerned now that I'll need to yank the steering column and ignition from the donor. I just don't know enough about that damn system to work around but there's got to be a way...

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You failed to mention if the donor trans is 2wd or 4wd. Your best bet is to hit the junkyard for a 96-97 5.0 explorer and get the ECU, engine & trans harness. To run the the ECU & harness you have, you will literally need to wire in half the dash harness, including the steering column harness. Using the 96-97 setup eliminates pats. Pick up a first gen explorer (91-94) rad, it should bolt right in and will be enough to cool the 5.0. You will need a mustang dual sump oil pan & pickup tube, oil filter relocation kit with a 90* block adapter, throttle cable from the donor, motor mount plates highly recommended over the mustang convertible mounts, and massaging of your heater box on the firewall...

SVT

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You failed to mention if the donor trans is 2wd or 4wd. Your best bet is to hit the junkyard for a 96-97 5.0 explorer and get the ECU, engine & trans harness. To run the the ECU & harness you have, you will literally need to wire in half the dash harness, including the steering column harness. Using the 96-97 setup eliminates pats. Pick up a first gen explorer (91-94) rad, it should bolt right in and will be enough to cool the 5.0. You will need a mustang dual sump oil pan & pickup tube, oil filter relocation kit with a 90* block adapter, throttle cable from the donor, motor mount plates highly recommended over the mustang convertible mounts, and massaging of your heater box on the firewall...

SVT

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i would run a non pats system as well.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
or invest in a moates 1/4 horse or something.

dSINtia

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
or invest in a moates 1/4 horse or something.
The donor vehicle is a 2wd 2000 Ford Explorer with the 302.

I've bought the donor and it sits in my garage... I will be using this drive train. I'll consider it the price I pay for not doing my homework and not to mention my pride is too strong to admit to my wife I jumped the gun. :annoyed:

Anyhow, the Moates 1/4horse seems like a great idea if it allows me the ability to get past the requirement for the PATS module. I'm rifling through their website now trying to find information specific to this particluar issue.

In your experience, does the 1/4horse offer that level of functionality and will it mitigate the need for me to have to extensively work dash wiring and ignition?

Thanks again for the assistance guys...

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Your gonna have a lot of tuning and work to do. I'll break it down for you on the 5.0 explorer system...
96-97 no pats return style fuel system
98 pats return style fuel system
99-01 pats returnless style fuel system

Since you have a 2000, you have both a pats system and returnless style furl system working against you. The returnless style uses the intank pump with a regulator mounted in the tank to supply a regulated 65psi of fuel pressure. The return style has the regulator on the fuel rail and operates at about 40 psi. Moates can reprogram the ECU to run return style fuel system (which is what your B2 uses), but you will have to swap the fuel rails. I've done about a dozen of these swaps with this particular electrical system. Your best bet is to grab a 96-97 5.0 ECU and engine/trans harness from the junkyard...
SVT

dSINtia

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Your gonna have a lot of tuning and work to do. I'll break it down for you on the 5.0 explorer system...
96-97 no pats return style fuel system
98 pats return style fuel system
99-01 pats returnless style fuel system

Since you have a 2000, you have both a pats system and returnless style furl system working against you. The returnless style uses the intank pump with a regulator mounted in the tank to supply a regulated 65psi of fuel pressure. The return style has the regulator on the fuel rail and operates at about 40 psi. Moates can reprogram the ECU to run return style fuel system (which is what your B2 uses), but you will have to swap the fuel rails. I've done about a dozen of these swaps with this particular electrical system. Your best bet is to grab a 96-97 5.0 ECU and engine/trans harness from the junkyard...
SVT
Thanks SVT. I understand both the PATS and fuel system issues - I appreciate you laying it out for me.

But for the fans in the back row, I understand that I basically need to get a 96/97 5.0 ECU with matching engine and trans harness, the fuel rail off of a 96-98 Windsor 302 (any model vehicle... wouldn't the fuel rail off any W302 running a return fuel system work???), and the Moates chip. All of this will be used on the drivetrain out of the 2000 donor and I'll need to tune the ECU to run on a fuel return fuel system...

On a side note, will the stock headers off the donor work in the B2 or will I need to get aftermarket?

I appreciate your help... thanks again.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
By getting the 96-97 ECU, you no longer need the moates system, unless you want to tune for extra power, or delete some uneeded functions. Any 5.0 fuel rail will work, however, I find the explorer fuel rails to work best as the connections are in the same location as the stock ranger/broncoII fuel lines are...

SVT

dSINtia

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That makes perfect sense. I guess I'm on the prowl for a 96-98 fuel rail (easy), a 96/97 ECU (easy) and an engine/trans wiring harness (not so easy)... That should be a breeze. Haha. Thanks again... I drilling through all the data on the V8 conversion link in your signature but any quick must-do, nice to know tips you can offer without killing your entire day???

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The oil pan you know, you'll need oil pan bolts too as they are different. Power steering line, get you a 4.0 line, and straighten it out, and it'll fit. Everything else will be just as described except for wiring. If you need help with that, let me know...

SVT

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The oil pan bolts "might" work, depending on if your donor has the steel pan vs the aluminum one. I know I have a couple of '97' XDT2 computers I've had for 4-5 years as well as a '96' take-off engine harness from a crate motor if you have trouble finding them. I just went thru many pages on PAT's info, did a search using PATs and Rwenzing's name, found a bunch and SVT has it pretty well nailed down with the requirements.
Dave

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
One other thing I did forget, the cps you will have to get the 3 wire 96-98, the 99-01 uses a 2 wire ( the cps is the cam position sensor, which sits where the dizzy goes. You only need the sensor, not the syncronizer, which is the part that goes into the block)...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals